2005-10-21 22:02:19

by Jun Zhang

Subject: How to find what to make "df -jk" hang (redhat)

Many a time when I type df -k, the prompt will not come back. Went to another session, I found the df process is not killable. I then checked each piece in /etc/fstab, each piece is fine (mounted and accessible).
Can somebosy give a clue?

Jun

---------------------------------

by Sean Dogar

Subject: Re: How to find what to make "df -jk" hang (redhat)

Jun Zhang wrote:

> Many a time when I type df -k, the prompt will not come back. Went to
> another session, I found the df process is not killable. I then
> checked each piece in /etc/fstab, each piece is fine (mounted and
> accessible).
> Can somebosy give a clue?
>
> Jun

> <http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylc=X3oDMTFqODRtdXQ4BF9TAzMyOTc1MDIEX3MDOTY2ODgxNjkEcG9zAzEEc2VjA21haWwtZm9vdGVyBHNsawNmYw--/SIG=110oav78o/**http%3a//farechase.yahoo.com/>

What about mounted filesystem that aren't in /etc/fstab? There may be
manually mounted NFS filesystems that are hung. Do a "mount" with no
arguments and take a look.

-Sean

by Ian Kent

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005, Jun Zhang wrote:

> Many a time when I type df -k, the prompt will not come back. Went to another session, I found the df process is not killable. I then checked each piece in /etc/fstab, each piece is fine (mounted and accessible).
> Can somebosy give a clue?

Not fstab.

Try working out what is blocked by looking at /etc/mtab or /proc/mounts.

Ian

by Steve Dickson

Jun Zhang wrote:

> Many a time when I type df -k, the prompt will not come back. Went to
> another session, I found the df process is not killable. I then
> checked each piece in /etc/fstab, each piece is fine (mounted and
> accessible).
> Can somebosy give a clue?

Is autofs in the picture? which kernel and nfs-utils versions are you
running also
who is the server? Is there any errors being logged on either the client
or server?
Finally, a ethereal trace (i.e. tethereal -w /tmp/data.cap host
<server>) at the
time of the hang might also help...

steved.

by Jun Zhang

Ian,
What do I look for? Those two file have quite the
same contents. Ain't what listed there are mounted
items?

Jun Zhang

--- Ian Kent <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Oct 2005, Jun Zhang wrote:
>=20
> > =20
> > Many a time when I type df -k, the prompt will not
> come back. Went to another session, I found the df
> process is not killable. I then checked each piece
> in /etc/fstab, each piece is fine (mounted and
> accessible).
> > Can somebosy give a clue?
>=20
> Not fstab.
>=20
> Try working out what is blocked by looking at
> /etc/mtab or /proc/mounts.
>=20
> Ian
>=20
>=20
>=20

>=20

=09
=09

by Jun Zhang

Steve,
The problem is that I don't what is trying to be
mounted, from what server. All automount map listed
directories are also accessible. As of this writing,
three 'df -k' processes are still running, and refuse
to be killed.
I've never used ethereal, and it seems not
available on this redhat 7.1. I'll download and try
that.

Jun Zhang

--- Steve Dickson <[email protected]> wrote:

> Jun Zhang wrote:
>=20
> > =20
> > Many a time when I type df -k, the prompt will not
> come back. Went to=20
> > another session, I found the df process is not
> killable. I then=20
> > checked each piece in /etc/fstab, each piece is
> fine (mounted and=20
> > accessible).
> > Can somebosy give a clue?
>=20
> Is autofs in the picture? which kernel and nfs-utils
> versions are you=20
> running also
> who is the server? Is there any errors being logged
> on either the client=20
> or server?
> Finally, a ethereal trace (i.e. tethereal -w
> /tmp/data.cap host=20
> <server>) at the
> time of the hang might also help...
>=20
> steved.
>=20
>=20

=09

by Ian Kent

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005, Jun Zhang wrote:

> Ian,
> What do I look for? Those two file have quite the
> same contents. Ain't what listed there are mounted
> items?

But something is hanging so you should be able to work out which one it is
by identifing how far df got.

> Jun Zhang
>
> --- Ian Kent <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 21 Oct 2005, Jun Zhang wrote:
> >

> > > Many a time when I type df -k, the prompt will not
> > come back. Went to another session, I found the df
> > process is not killable. I then checked each piece
> > in /etc/fstab, each piece is fine (mounted and
> > accessible).
> > > Can somebosy give a clue?
> >
> > Not fstab.
> >
> > Try working out what is blocked by looking at
> > /etc/mtab or /proc/mounts.
> >
> > Ian

by Ian Kent

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005, Jun Zhang wrote:

> Steve,
> The problem is that I don't what is trying to be
> mounted, from what server. All automount map listed
> directories are also accessible. As of this writing,
> three 'df -k' processes are still running, and refuse
> to be killed.

So you are using autofs.

That's a different story altogether.
If autofs is hanging on trying to mount something you should see the mount
command it has issued in a ps listing. You might be able to see the
mountpoint directory there.

Care to tell the version of autofs?
The kernel version?
What are your maps?

Maybe get a debug log of autofs by using the -d option added to your
master map entries? Don't forget to ensure that syslog priority debug is
being logged. Use man syslog.conf to check this.

You probably should be asking this on the autofs list.

Ian

by Jun Zhang

automount version 3.1.7
linux kernel version 2.4.2-2

The content of /etc/auto.master,
/home /etc/auto.home -nobrowse,intr
/vol /etc/auto.vol -nobrowse,intr
/data /etc/auto.data -nobrowse,intr
/biostat /etc/auto.biostat -nobrowse,intr
/usr/local/tps /etc/auto.tps -nobrowse,intr
/apps /etc/auto.apps -nobrowse,intr

I tried to access each one of them, at least for one
key, no problem. I'll try to get some log and post it
next time.

Jun Zhang

--- Ian Kent <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Oct 2005, Jun Zhang wrote:
>=20
> > Steve,
> > The problem is that I don't what is trying to
> be
> > mounted, from what server. All automount map
> listed
> > directories are also accessible. As of this
> writing,
> > three 'df -k' processes are still running, and
> refuse
> > to be killed.
>=20
> So you are using autofs.
>=20
> That's a different story altogether.
> If autofs is hanging on trying to mount something
> you should see the mount=20
> command it has issued in a ps listing. You might be
> able to see the=20
> mountpoint directory there.
>=20
> Care to tell the version of autofs?
> The kernel version?
> What are your maps?
>=20
> Maybe get a debug log of autofs by using the -d
> option added to your=20
> master map entries? Don't forget to ensure that
> syslog priority debug is=20
> being logged. Use man syslog.conf to check this.
>=20
> You probably should be asking this on the autofs
> list.
>=20
> Ian
>=20
>=20
>=20

> Get Certified Today * Register for a JBoss Training
> Course
> Free Certification Exam for All Training Attendees
> Through End of 2005
> Visit http://www.jboss.com/services/certification
> for more information
>=20

=09
=09

by Ian Kent

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005, Jun Zhang wrote:

> automount version 3.1.7
> linux kernel version 2.4.2-2

Your autofs version is way to old to expect much from me.
I just can't remember and version 3 is not being maintained by anyone.

> The content of /etc/auto.master,
> /home /etc/auto.home -nobrowse,intr
> /vol /etc/auto.vol -nobrowse,intr
> /data /etc/auto.data -nobrowse,intr
> /biostat /etc/auto.biostat -nobrowse,intr
> /usr/local/tps /etc/auto.tps -nobrowse,intr
> /apps /etc/auto.apps -nobrowse,intr

I'm not sure about your nobrowse option.
It not only does nothing but may cause mount failures.

You don't need nobrowse with autofs 3 as it doesn't provide brousable
maps at all.

> I tried to access each one of them, at least for one
> key, no problem. I'll try to get some log and post it
> next time.

This version of autofs doesn't have a great deal of logging ability.
Do you see anything in the logs?
Does syslog priority debug reach the logs with you configuration?