2005-12-16 05:54:46

by NeilBrown

Subject: nfs-utils 1.0.8-rc1

I have just make a RC release for nfs-utils.
nfs-utils-1.0.8-rc1 can be found at

or (soon) at
http://www.{countrycode}.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/nfs/

There have been an assortment of bugfixes and improvements over the
past year, but nothing major.
As I haven't done much testing myself, I am making this an -rc release
and hoping that other will test it. I hope to make a real 1.0.8
in late January, so if anyone has some patches they have been saving
up, or knows of some annoying problems with nfs-utils, speak now.

NeilBrown 16-December-2005

by Trond Myklebust

Subject: Re: nfs-utils 1.0.8-rc1

On Fri, 2005-12-16 at 16:54 +1100, Neil Brown wrote:
> I have just make a RC release for nfs-utils.
> nfs-utils-1.0.8-rc1 can be found at
>
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=14
> or (soon) at
> http://www.{countrycode}.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/nfs/
>
> There have been an assortment of bugfixes and improvements over the
> past year, but nothing major.
> As I haven't done much testing myself, I am making this an -rc release
> and hoping that other will test it. I hope to make a real 1.0.8
> in late January, so if anyone has some patches they have been saving
> up, or knows of some annoying problems with nfs-utils, speak now.
>
> NeilBrown 16-December-2005

The NFSv4 bugzilla lists several issues that we might want to try to
tackle. See

http://bugzilla.linux-nfs.org/buglist.cgi?query_format=specific&order=relevance+desc&bug_status=__open__&product=nfs-utils&content=

Cheers,
Trond

by Kevin Coffman

Hi Neil,
One patch that I didn't include in the bundle I sent yesterday is to
change the build system to use gnu autotools. I was waiting on some
feedback before sending this one along to you. Perhaps it would get
more exposure if it was in a release candidate -- if you're willing...

K.C.

On 12/16/05, Neil Brown <[email protected]> wrote:

> I have just make a RC release for nfs-utils.
> nfs-utils-1.0.8-rc1 can be found at
>
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=3D14
> or (soon) at
> http://www.{countrycode}.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/nfs/
>
> There have been an assortment of bugfixes and improvements over the
> past year, but nothing major.
> As I haven't done much testing myself, I am making this an -rc release
> and hoping that other will test it. I hope to make a real 1.0.8
> in late January, so if anyone has some patches they have been saving
> up, or knows of some annoying problems with nfs-utils, speak now.
>
> NeilBrown 16-December-2005

by Aurélien Charbon

Neil Brown wrote:

>I have just make a RC release for nfs-utils.
>nfs-utils-1.0.8-rc1 can be found at
>
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=14
>or (soon) at
> http://www.{countrycode}.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/nfs/
>
>There have been an assortment of bugfixes and improvements over the
>past year, but nothing major.
>As I haven't done much testing myself, I am making this an -rc release
>and hoping that other will test it.

I have tested it with fsx and fsstress (3 hour run)
There is obviously no regression

by NeilBrown

On Friday December 16, [email protected] wrote:
> Hi Neil,
> One patch that I didn't include in the bundle I sent yesterday is to
> change the build system to use gnu autotools. I was waiting on some
> feedback before sending this one along to you. Perhaps it would get
> more exposure if it was in a release candidate -- if you're willing...

Yeh... how much can it break?
And I can always back it out if it makes a mess of anything.

So, send it over.

Thanks,
NeilBrown

by NeilBrown

On Friday December 16, [email protected] wrote:
> Neil Brown wrote:
>
> >I have just make a RC release for nfs-utils.
> >nfs-utils-1.0.8-rc1 can be found at
> >
> > http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=14
> >or (soon) at
> > http://www.{countrycode}.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/nfs/
> >
> >There have been an assortment of bugfixes and improvements over the
> >past year, but nothing major.
> >As I haven't done much testing myself, I am making this an -rc release
> >and hoping that other will test it.
> >
> I have tested it with fsx and fsstress (3 hour run)
> There is obviously no regression

Thanks. That's helpful.

However nfs-utils is more active at mount/unmount time and during IO.
A really good test would have lots of clients mounting and unmounting,
and servers and clients crashing, and lots of weird options in
/etc/exports. That's probably a little hard to manage in a controlled
environment.

Thanks,
NeilBrown

by NeilBrown

On Friday December 16, [email protected] wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-12-16 at 16:54 +1100, Neil Brown wrote:
> > I have just make a RC release for nfs-utils.
> > nfs-utils-1.0.8-rc1 can be found at
> >
> > http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=14
> > or (soon) at
> > http://www.{countrycode}.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/nfs/
> >
> > There have been an assortment of bugfixes and improvements over the
> > past year, but nothing major.
> > As I haven't done much testing myself, I am making this an -rc release
> > and hoping that other will test it. I hope to make a real 1.0.8
> > in late January, so if anyone has some patches they have been saving
> > up, or knows of some annoying problems with nfs-utils, speak now.
> >
> > NeilBrown 16-December-2005
>
> The NFSv4 bugzilla lists several issues that we might want to try to
> tackle. See
>
> http://bugzilla.linux-nfs.org/buglist.cgi?query_format=specific&order=relevance+desc&bug_status=__open__&product=nfs-utils&content=

[Grumble...bugzilla...grumble...no visibility on mailinglists
.. grumble..]

So we have:
36 nor P3 All [email protected] NEW server scales poorly to large number of exports

Linear lists are a bit of problem for large numbers of exports.
Proposed change to use hashtable...
I have some code that does AVL trees really nicely.. Then you don't
have to worry about right-sizing the hash table.

39 nor P3 All [email protected] NEW Kerberos Issues with Mixed-case hostnames

Hmmm.. I wonder we should be aborting if krb5_kt_next_entry returns
an error...

57 nor P3 All [email protected] NEW unable to export to nfs3 krb5 clients without also export...

Messy.... the submitter want to allow mount/STATFS and maybe GETATTR
to succeed with only AUTH_UNIX, even though /etc/exports says that
krb5 is required to access the filesystem.

As there is no list of authorised hosts available in this context,
we really need to give filehandles and stats info away to
anyone. i.e. even accept AUTH_NONE. But we only need to do this for
filesystems which require krb5.

Maybe we need an export option which says "STATFS/GETATTR may be
performed for anyone" and set that when we export with krb5....

Hmmm.. more thought needed. I don't think this will get into 1.0.8.

58 nor P3 All [email protected] NEW unable to require different security flavors for differen...

Hmmm.. They want a funny blend of IP based and credential base
authentication.... I guess that makes atleast a little bit of
sense. The IP isn't used for authentication so much as to require
encryption if it is an un-known IP.... I wonder if svcgssd gets the
IP address and so can fail the negotiation if a foreign IP asked for
no encryption.

The bit about having the same format 'exports' file as 'the others',
while probably a nice goal, is currently awkward. So that bit won't
be possible for 1.0.8.

The idea of connection IP addresses with GSS auth connects with bug
57 somewhat..

70 min P4 All [email protected] NEW Confusing anonymous mapping

Yes there is room for confusion. But changing defaults is always a
problem.
Having '-2' for 'nobody' was never a good idea, as the 16/32 bit
distinction causes problems already.
This would probably be easy to fix if we only knew what 'fix'
meant....

75 nor P3 Oth [email protected] NEW pseudofilesystem paths are confusing and v3-incompatible

That's a fair comment, but the solution isn't obvious.
The apparently straight forward approach might be:
If 'fsid=0' isn't given in /etc/exports, then auto-export
/var/lib/nfs/pseudo-root
as fsid=0,ro,... and bind-mount all other exported filesystems
into a suitable place in there.

However some people like to export filesystems that aren't yet
mounted (cdroms). It would be nice if the request to access
something under the pseudo-root could be trapped by mountd to do the
bind-mount then...

I think there is lots of room for crazy ideas here. We could even
get nfsd to follow symlink in that pseudo root filesystem, so
exported names are symlinked in rather than bind-mounted.

Hmmmm...

I don't think any of these need to be show-stopper for 1.0.8, thought
36 could probably be addressed easily enough..

Thanks for the pointer.

NeilBrown

by Trond Myklebust

On Mon, 2005-12-19 at 12:52 +1100, Neil Brown wrote:

> > http://bugzilla.linux-nfs.org/buglist.cgi?query_format=specific&order=relevance+desc&bug_status=__open__&product=nfs-utils&content=
>
> [Grumble...bugzilla...grumble...no visibility on mailinglists
> .. grumble..]

We have actually set up a mailing list specifically for the bugzilla
traffic in order to avoid spamming the main list. The expectation is
that all the stuff put into the bugzilla should reflect problems + that
have been discussed in public on the other lists (lkml, sourceforge, or
[email protected]). Of course, the fact that several of us are based
in Ann Arbor will tend to cause some violations to that rule.

Anyhow, if you are interested in subscribing, then see

Trond

by J. Bruce Fields

On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 12:52:48PM +1100, Neil Brown wrote:
> 75 nor P3 Oth [email protected] NEW pseudofilesystem paths are confusing and v3-incompatible
>
> That's a fair comment, but the solution isn't obvious.
> The apparently straight forward approach might be:
> If 'fsid=0' isn't given in /etc/exports, then auto-export
> /var/lib/nfs/pseudo-root
> as fsid=0,ro,... and bind-mount all other exported filesystems
> into a suitable place in there.

Yes, I've thought about doing something like that. It has the advantage
that we can fix everything in nfs-utils, without needing new kernel
interfaces.

Another change is needed so that mountd doesn't report that it's
exporting a bunch of paths starting with /var/lib/nfs/pseudo-root. We'd
need to hide that part of any such path from the mount protocol
entirely--so the export

/var/lib/nfs/pseudo-root/path

would be referred to as "/path" for the purposes of mount requests and

Should we start coding all this? I'm a little nervous about making
exportfs suddenly do a bunch of bind mounts behind the administrators
back, but I guess we can control that behaviour with configuration
and/or commandline operations and let administrators and users decide
how to handle the transition.

--b.

by J. Bruce Fields

On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 12:58:13PM -0500, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 12:52:48PM +1100, Neil Brown wrote:
> > 75 nor P3 Oth [email protected] NEW pseudofilesystem paths are confusing and v3-incompatible
> >
> > That's a fair comment, but the solution isn't obvious.
> > The apparently straight forward approach might be:
> > If 'fsid=0' isn't given in /etc/exports, then auto-export
> > /var/lib/nfs/pseudo-root
> > as fsid=0,ro,... and bind-mount all other exported filesystems
> > into a suitable place in there.
>
> Yes, I've thought about doing something like that. It has the advantage
> that we can fix everything in nfs-utils, without needing new kernel
> interfaces.

Oh, note one other thing--/var/lib/nfs/pseudo-root is on the root
filesystem on a lot of systems, and we definitely don't want to silently
export bits of the root filesystem.... So we'd need to do a loopback
mount or something.--b.

by J. Bruce Fields

On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 12:52:48PM +1100, Neil Brown wrote:
> 57 nor P3 All [email protected] NEW unable to export to nfs3 krb5 clients without also export...
>
> Messy.... the submitter want to allow mount/STATFS and maybe GETATTR
> to succeed with only AUTH_UNIX, even though /etc/exports says that
> krb5 is required to access the filesystem.

You could argue that that's dumb, and I'd be sympathetic.
Unfortunately, it's just the way NFSv2/v3 works--see RFC 2623. So we
need to support this to interoperate well.

> As there is no list of authorised hosts available in this context,
> we really need to give filehandles and stats info away to
> anyone. i.e. even accept AUTH_NONE. But we only need to do this for
> filesystems which require krb5.

We won't have to give this information away to everyone once we adopt
the conventional approach of passing security flavors as export options
(sec=krb5) instead of as clients (gss/krb5(rw,no_subtree_check,...)).

So this is another reason to make that switch. (The other was that some
people want different security flavor requirements enforced on different
IP network, e.g., in case they have a performance-critical trusted local
network but are also willing to export to the world as long as they come
in with krb5p.)

> Hmmm.. more thought needed. I don't think this will get into 1.0.8.

Agreed.

> 58 nor P3 All [email protected] NEW unable to require different security flavors for differen...
> The bit about having the same format 'exports' file as 'the others',
> while probably a nice goal, is currently awkward. So that bit won't
> be possible for 1.0.8.

Yeah. I think it's a lower priority too. What's the history of the
linux exports file format? Was it invented for linux, or taken from
someplace else?

> The idea of connection IP addresses with GSS auth connects with bug
> 57 somewhat..

Right.

--b.