2006-02-08 07:56:28

by Stephen Carville

Subject: Performance improvement.

Maybe my expectations are too high but...

I have an NFS server (amazon) running FC3 and two clients (tigris and
euphrates) running Redhat ES-3.4 and ES-3.0 respectively. I am writing
the nightly rman backups of the oracle databases running tigris and
euphrates to a large RAID on amazon. The machines are connected via a
private network thru a Dell Power Connect 2716 switch. After some
tuning, Iperf shows consistent transfer rates of 950 Mbps to 980 Mbps
for both TCP and UDP.

Euphrates (ES 3.0) will only work with nfs2 and, even with 8K packets,
only produices about 1.5 MB/s (12 Mbps). By comparison, tigris (ES 3.4)
handles V3 with 32K datagrams and produces about 12 MB/s (96 Mbps).
Still only a fraction of what the network can handle but much better
than the other box.

I've tuned the network and I'm using the largest blocksize I can. What
else can I do to improve performance?

--
Stephen Carville <[email protected]>
Unix and Network Admin

by Trond Myklebust

Subject: Re: Performance improvement.

On Tue, 2006-02-07 at 23:56 -0800, Stephen Carville wrote:
> Maybe my expectations are too high but...
>
> I have an NFS server (amazon) running FC3 and two clients (tigris and
> euphrates) running Redhat ES-3.4 and ES-3.0 respectively. I am writing
> the nightly rman backups of the oracle databases running tigris and
> euphrates to a large RAID on amazon. The machines are connected via a
> private network thru a Dell Power Connect 2716 switch. After some
> tuning, Iperf shows consistent transfer rates of 950 Mbps to 980 Mbps
> for both TCP and UDP.
>
> Euphrates (ES 3.0) will only work with nfs2 and, even with 8K packets,
> only produices about 1.5 MB/s (12 Mbps). By comparison, tigris (ES 3.4)
> handles V3 with 32K datagrams and produces about 12 MB/s (96 Mbps).
> Still only a fraction of what the network can handle but much better
> than the other box.
>
> I've tuned the network and I'm using the largest blocksize I can. What
> else can I do to improve performance?

http://nfs.sourceforge.net/nfs-howto/performance.html

Cheers,
Trond