2006-02-15 17:58:54

by Sev Binello

Subject: executables crash when moved

We have had a consistent problem of executables shared over NFS crashing
when new executables are released.

Before a new executable replaces an older one with a cp,
we mv the executable to a fallback dir and rename it.
We have 2 renaming schemes,
either .old, .older, .oldest or append a date to the old executable.

This used to work fine when the nfs sever was solaris,
however since we migrated it to redhat linux WS,
we find that the executables crash with a SIGBUS.

The executables don't necessarily crash right away,
as a matter of fact we can't intentionally reproduce the crash.
Which leads me to believe it is cache related.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem,
and come up with a solution ?

Thanks
-Sev

--

Sev Binello
Brookhaven National Laboratory

by Trond Myklebust

Subject: Re: executables crash when moved

On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 12:58 -0500, Sev Binello wrote:
> We have had a consistent problem of executables shared over NFS crashing
> when new executables are released.
>
> Before a new executable replaces an older one with a cp,
> we mv the executable to a fallback dir and rename it.
> We have 2 renaming schemes,
> either .old, .older, .oldest or append a date to the old executable.
>
> This used to work fine when the nfs sever was solaris,
> however since we migrated it to redhat linux WS,
> we find that the executables crash with a SIGBUS.
>
> The executables don't necessarily crash right away,
> as a matter of fact we can't intentionally reproduce the crash.
> Which leads me to believe it is cache related.

It isn't. It is a consequence of using the (admittedly _very_ stupid)
default server setting of "subtree_check", and then renaming into a
different directory (man 5 exports).

You have one of 2 possible solutions:

1) Edit your /etc/exports, and add no_subtree_check options to the
entries for your exported filesystem.

OR

2) rename the executables into the same directory.

Cheers,
Trond