2007-04-26 11:30:06

by Tomasz Chmielewski

Subject: how to check if file locking is working?

How can I check if file locking is working?

I have a NFS4 server (Linux x86) and a NFS4 client (Linux ARM).

NFS4 server exports a Debian-ARM root filesystem (/bin, /etc, /usr... a
complete OS).

I want to "upgrade" the Debian-ARM root filesystem in a NFS4 chroot, but
it fails - dpkg claims that:

debconf: DbDriver "config": /var/cache/debconf/config.dat is locked by
another process

It's not true, as that export is only used by that one client.

So what comes to my mind, is that file locking is somehow broken.

How can I check if NFS4 file locking works properly, or is broken?

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org

by Tomasz Chmielewski

Subject: Re: how to check if file locking is working?

Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> How can I check if file locking is working?
>
> I have a NFS4 server (Linux x86) and a NFS4 client (Linux ARM).
>

> NFS4 server exports a Debian-ARM root filesystem (/bin, /etc, /usr... a
> complete OS).
>
> I want to "upgrade" the Debian-ARM root filesystem in a NFS4 chroot, but
> it fails - dpkg claims that:
>
> debconf: DbDriver "config": /var/cache/debconf/config.dat is locked by
> another process
>
> It's not true, as that export is only used by that one client.
>
> So what comes to my mind, is that file locking is somehow broken.
>
> How can I check if NFS4 file locking works properly, or is broken?

I changed the client to use NFSv3 instead of NFSv4, and suddenly, the
things started to work...

Ideas what I might be missing? Why locking works if I use NFSv3 on the
client, but doesn't when I use NFSv4 on the client (other than NFS
version, nothing else changed).

Kernel option on a client or server, export options on the server, mount
options on the client etc.?

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org

by Trond Myklebust

On Thu, 2007-04-26 at 14:19 +0200, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> > How can I check if file locking is working?
> >
> > I have a NFS4 server (Linux x86) and a NFS4 client (Linux ARM).
> >

> > NFS4 server exports a Debian-ARM root filesystem (/bin, /etc, /usr... a
> > complete OS).
> >
> > I want to "upgrade" the Debian-ARM root filesystem in a NFS4 chroot, but
> > it fails - dpkg claims that:
> >
> > debconf: DbDriver "config": /var/cache/debconf/config.dat is locked by
> > another process
> >
> > It's not true, as that export is only used by that one client.
> >
> > So what comes to my mind, is that file locking is somehow broken.
> >
> > How can I check if NFS4 file locking works properly, or is broken?
>
> I changed the client to use NFSv3 instead of NFSv4, and suddenly, the
> things started to work...
>
> Ideas what I might be missing? Why locking works if I use NFSv3 on the
> client, but doesn't when I use NFSv4 on the client (other than NFS
> version, nothing else changed).
>
> Kernel option on a client or server, export options on the server, mount
> options on the client etc.?

nfsroot does not support NFSv4 at this time.

Trond

by Tomasz Chmielewski

Trond Myklebust schrieb:

>>> nfsroot does not support NFSv4 at this time.
>> Hmm, I didn't say anything about nfsroot, did I?
>>
>> I merely did a chroot over NFSv4, and some apps don't work well then.
>
> Sorry. I misread your mail. The easiest way to check basic locking would
> be to run the connectathon suite. See
> http://www.connectathon.org/#technologies

It looks like it's not working when I mount an export as NVSv4.
What can be wrong?

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org