2007-08-09 15:09:49

by Chuck Lever III

Subject: inconsistencies in nfs(5)

chuck.lever.vcf (290.00 B)
(No filename) (315.00 B)
(No filename) (140.00 B)

by rnews

Subject: Re: inconsistencies in nfs(5)

Chuck Lever <[email protected]> wrote:
| + The description for the "bg" option claims "After a mount operation
| is backgrounded, all subsequent mounts on the same NFS server will be
| backgrounded immediately, without first attempting the mount." I don't
| think there's logic to do that in either the legacy mount command or in
| mount.nfs. Should this text be removed from the man page?

I added that text in 1997, in a patch that was included in mount-2.7g.
It referred to the following fragment in nfsmount.c:

+ /*
+ * If the previous mount operation on the same host was
+ * backgrounded, and the "bg" for this mount is also set,
+ * give up immediately, to avoid the initial timeout.
+ */
+ if (bg && !running_bg &&
+ prev_bg_host && strcmp(hostname, prev_bg_host) == 0) {
+ if (retry > 0)
+ retval = EX_BG;
+ return retval;
+ }

This code got removed somewhere after util-linux-2.12p, but I don't
know the details.

--
Dick Streefland //// Altium BV
[email protected] (@ @) http://www.altium.com