2004-05-06 19:37:25

by Maxwell Bottiger

Subject: nfs hang, acutaully really slow

Hi,
I'm running some version of NFSv3. I have whatever came packaged
along with Fedora Core 1. (They put their own version number on the
package)

My server appears to be running into a real problem transfering
files. As long as my transfers are super small (like ls) then everything
is cool. As soon as I try to work on bigger files (greater than 4k) most
everything grinds to a screetching halt. I can see that there is still
activity, but the transfers are in terms of 3 or 4 packets every few
seconds. I've sort of been hobbling along using scp (wich is runing
somewhere between 1000x to 1000000x faster than NFS right now) but that
only works for so long.

Where do I start trying to solve this problem? I haven't been
able to find any error messages. Any help is greatly appreciated.

--
-Maxwell Bottiger
http://www.jive-turkey.net

by Lever, Charles

Subject: RE: nfs hang, acutaully really slow

hi maxwell-

> I'm running some version of NFSv3. I have whatever=20
> came packaged=20
> along with Fedora Core 1. (They put their own version number on the=20
> package)
>=20
> My server appears to be running into a real problem transfering=20
> files. As long as my transfers are super small (like ls)=20
> then everything=20
> is cool. As soon as I try to work on bigger files (greater=20
> than 4k) most=20
> everything grinds to a screetching halt. I can see that=20
> there is still=20
> activity, but the transfers are in terms of 3 or 4 packets every few=20
> seconds. I've sort of been hobbling along using scp (wich is runing=20
> somewhere between 1000x to 1000000x faster than NFS right=20
> now) but that=20
> only works for so long.
>=20
> Where do I start trying to solve this problem? I haven't been=20
> able to find any error messages. Any help is greatly appreciated.

these are the classic symptoms of a network issue; probably
a speed or duplex mismatch in the network between your clients
and server. if you switch to NFS over TCP, the problem will
likely go away.

by Ian Kent

On Thu, 6 May 2004, Lever, Charles wrote:

> hi maxwell-
>
> > I'm running some version of NFSv3. I have whatever
> > came packaged
> > along with Fedora Core 1. (They put their own version number on the
> > package)
> >
> > My server appears to be running into a real problem transfering
> > files. As long as my transfers are super small (like ls)
> > then everything
> > is cool. As soon as I try to work on bigger files (greater
> > than 4k) most
> > everything grinds to a screetching halt. I can see that
> > there is still
> > activity, but the transfers are in terms of 3 or 4 packets every few
> > seconds. I've sort of been hobbling along using scp (wich is runing
> > somewhere between 1000x to 1000000x faster than NFS right
> > now) but that
> > only works for so long.
> >
> > Where do I start trying to solve this problem? I haven't been
> > able to find any error messages. Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> these are the classic symptoms of a network issue; probably
> a speed or duplex mismatch in the network between your clients
> and server. if you switch to NFS over TCP, the problem will
> likely go away.

Are you sure about that?

When I've had problems with link negotiation it's has been essential to
get the speed and duplex to match the switch. Performance overall is
significantly affected if you don't.

Ian