2004-05-12 20:11:42

by Peter Astrand

Subject: clnt_max_conns ?

How many TCP connections are initiated by the Linux NFS client when using
TCP? Solaris, for example, seems to have a parameter called
"clnt_max_conns" that controls this. Is there anything similiar for Linux?
Does the number of TCP connections depend on the number of mounts?

--
Peter ?strand Chief Developer
Cendio http://www.thinlinc.com

by Lever, Charles

Subject: RE: clnt_max_conns ?

for NFSv2 and NFSv3, one socket is opened per mount point.

for NFSv4, i think trond has made some kind of sharing arrangement, =
where mounts of exports on the same server get to share a socket.

we're thinking hard about allowing multiple sockets per mount point, or =
even multiple sockets per client-server pair. probably the break-even =
is having a socket per client CPU per client-server pair to maximize =
socket buffer availability and minimize lock contention while not =
chewing up too much of the port number space.

by Trond Myklebust

On Wed, 2004-05-12 at 16:11, Peter Astrand wrote:
> How many TCP connections are initiated by the Linux NFS client when using
> TCP? Solaris, for example, seems to have a parameter called
> "clnt_max_conns" that controls this. Is there anything similiar for Linux?
> Does the number of TCP connections depend on the number of mounts?

1) 1 per mountpoint (except in the case of NFSv4 when it is 1 per
server).

2) Nope.

3) Yep. See (1).

Cheers,