2004-06-08 18:20:46

by Phy Prabab

Subject: mtab and procs not in sync?

Hello,

Have run into a situation where mtab does not match
/proc/mounts in that mtab has numerous entries that
have expired off and removed, yet does not show that
it has been removed from mtab. Is this known and is
there a fix?

Kernel 2.4.21 and 23
nfs-utils 1.06
automount 4.1.2

Thanks!
Phy

by Lever, Charles

Subject: RE: mtab and procs not in sync?

if there are a lot of mounts on the system, then /proc/mounts can be
truncated and not show all of them.

however, if there are more mounts in /proc/mounts than in /etc/mtab,
there is probably a bug in mount. not unheard of.

by Phy Prabab

okay, how about many more mounts in mtab but not in
proc/mounts? cat of proc/mounts shows 10 mount
points, mtab show 23. I am guessing a bug?

Thank you for your time.
Phy

--- "Lever, Charles" <[email protected]> wrote:
> if there are a lot of mounts on the system, then
> /proc/mounts can be
> truncated and not show all of them.
>
> however, if there are more mounts in /proc/mounts
> than in /etc/mtab,
> there is probably a bug in mount. not unheard of.

by Ian Kent

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004, Phy Prabab wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Have run into a situation where mtab does not match
> /proc/mounts in that mtab has numerous entries that
> have expired off and removed, yet does not show that
> it has been removed from mtab. Is this known and is
> there a fix?

This is not an NFS, kernel or automount issue.

The locking in mount appears to be broken. It usually shows up with autofs
because it put quite a bit of pressure on mount.

But what is your environment?
I need more info. to understand this.
What 4.1.2 patches, if any, have you applied?

> Kernel 2.4.21 and 23
> nfs-utils 1.06
> automount 4.1.2

I've tried to work around this problem and I discovered a coding error
with that work the other day. I have a patch available at

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/daemons/autofs/v4

called

autofs-4.1.3-mtab_lock.patch

It is against 4.1.3 but should apply OK to 4.1.2.

This problem probably belongs on the autofs list. You can subscribe at
http://linux.kernel.org/mailman/listinfo/autofs

Ian

by Ian Kent

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004, Lever, Charles wrote:

> if there are a lot of mounts on the system, then /proc/mounts can be
> truncated and not show all of them.

That's very cool.
And a timely piece of information since I was about to change autofs to
rely on it instead of mtab.

So we can't rely on /proc/mounts being correct?
And mount consistently corrupts /etc/mtab under load.
And the util-linux list is closed and unresponsive last time I tried.

I will need to revisit this to give an account of what I think may be
wrong with mounts mtab locking. Indeed, I have couple of questions about
how it is supposed to work as it's not clear from the code.

Have you got any ideas how I could get the attention of the maintainer of
mount?

Ian

by James Pearson

Do you know how many 'a lot of mounts' is?

I believe there was a problem with /proc/mounts in 2.2 kernels (limited
to one page) - is there still a limit in 2.4 or 2.6 kernels?

I currently symlink /proc/mounts to /etc/mtab on diskless machines to
get round the issue that /etc/mtab can not trusted to be correct. I only
have a maximum of a few 10's of mounts at any one time.

James Pearson

Lever, Charles wrote:
> if there are a lot of mounts on the system, then /proc/mounts can be
> truncated and not show all of them.
>
> however, if there are more mounts in /proc/mounts than in /etc/mtab,
> there is probably a bug in mount. not unheard of.

by Lever, Charles

as far as i can tell, the 4KB limit is common to x86 on 2.2 and 2.4.
2.6 has replaced the old /proc read method with seq_file, so i believe
/proc/mounts on 2.6 kernels will not suffer from this problem.

it's not a fixed number of mounts, because the length of each line in
/proc/mounts depends on what mount options are in effect. the limit is
the number of characters in the file.

by James Pearson

On a 2.4.26 kernel on x86 I can get /proc/mounts to go over 4K (over 8K
with about 100 automounted file systems).

Having a quick look through the kernel code I can see seq_file used in
relation to proc_mounts_operations (fs/proc/base.c) - however as I don't
pretend to understand the code, I can't say this is the case ...

If 2.4.X does use seq_file, then is it safe to say /proc/mounts doesn't
suffer from a truncation problem?

James Pearson

Lever, Charles wrote:
> as far as i can tell, the 4KB limit is common to x86 on 2.2 and 2.4.
> 2.6 has replaced the old /proc read method with seq_file, so i believe
> /proc/mounts on 2.6 kernels will not suffer from this problem.
>
> it's not a fixed number of mounts, because the length of each line in
> /proc/mounts depends on what mount options are in effect. the limit is
> the number of characters in the file.

by Lever, Charles

i would guess that if seq_file is used, then /proc/mounts should be OK.

i was looking at a RHEL AS 2.1 system last week that used the single
page I/O model for /proc/mounts, and it was definitely busted.

by James Pearson

It looks like seq_file for /proc/mounts was introduced with 2.4.19 ...

James Pearson

Lever, Charles wrote:
> i would guess that if seq_file is used, then /proc/mounts should be OK.
>
> i was looking at a RHEL AS 2.1 system last week that used the single
> page I/O model for /proc/mounts, and it was definitely busted.

by Ian Kent

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004, Lever, Charles wrote:

> i would guess that if seq_file is used, then /proc/mounts should be OK.
>
> i was looking at a RHEL AS 2.1 system last week that used the single
> page I/O model for /proc/mounts, and it was definitely busted.

We probably need to start talking versions, back ports and vendor kernels
to get a clear picture of the situation here.

Ian