2004-12-15 19:46:03

by Lever, Charles

Subject: RE: [Storage_sig] Re: Question on bug tracking for NFSv4 work

> On Fri, 10 Dec 2004, Lever, Charles wrote:
> > we may not "lose" bugs if we record them in the database, but we may
> > "lose" them because they get ignored after they are added. =20
> what kind of
> > resources are available to manage (police) the process? do=20
> we have a
> > triage mechanism for incoming bugs?
>=20
> Well, the approach I've used in the past is to establish four
> criticalities (high, med, low, and unsorted). Stuff that=20
> causes crashes
> or data loss go into high. Stuff that is really minor is set to low,
> everything else is medium. In the run-up to a release, developers try
> to fix most of the high criticality items (with the rest left=20
> as 'known
> issues'). The bug tracker isn't used for prioritization of which bugs
> to fix (that's up to whomever is wrangling the releases to decide).
>=20
> With the SourceForge bug tracker, it's also possible to CC=20
> all bugs and
> bug reports to a mailing list, so I typically configure a
> [email protected] list for people to get notified=20
> about bugs. I
> think Bugzilla can be likewise configured.
>=20
> For managing the process, I personally prefer treating it less as
> something that needs 'policing' and more like a collective whiteboard
> that the developers have strong ownership of and use to assist in
> preparing for the release. Most of the time it's left fairly=20
> informal,
> with users, testers, and developers using it as a place to share info
> about the bugs. In the weeks leading up to the release, the list is
> more carefully analyzed and tracked by the release coordinator.

there are several processes a bug tracker can help us with. i think
some of these issues are more tractable than others. to wit:

1. personal bug to-do lists

this will work well, i think, and is what most folks
would like to have. each tester and developer can
chose to use or not use the bug tracker. it will
provide a venue for publishing bug lists. and each
developer or tester can track problems in his or her
own source trees.

2. release management

this is probably impractical unless we have 100%
participation and the maintainers want to use the
tool this way. we don't need or want group
process here yet (do we?). but it could work quite
well if we require bugs & patches to be in the
database as part of the process of submitting a
patch to one of the maintainers.

3. user/outside bug submission

this is also probably impractical. testers and
developers can assign and chase their own bugs;
users need an area expert to do this. i expect
that if a user reports a problem on the mailing
list and a tester or developer wants to register
it and track it themselves, then that's fine.
(see below)

4. others?

i think it would be best to track all bugs in the Linux NFS/RPC clients,
servers, and user-level utilities in one database.

> The area I personally have seen bug trackers pay off the most is for
> users reporting issues. This can be especially useful with obscure or
> hard to reproduce bugs, since it can be entered, and then someone else
> (such as a tester) can later validate it and add more info, until it
> becomes clear enough to a developer that it can be fixed.

i think this is impractical without defining human resources who can
assign and track these problems, as we are making participation
optional, who can help users refine the problem description if it is
lacking, and who can filter out duplicates and pilot error. also i
would rather that the distributors handle as much customer support as
possible.

imho the e-mail list is still the best place for this.