2005-02-03 21:53:43

by Lever, Charles

Subject: NFSv3 lockd performance problem

hi neil-

when i run the connectathon locking tests over NFSv3 from a Linux
client, the suite bogs down during test #7 and #12 because of problems
authenticating the lockd callbacks. bruce fields pointed me to some
patches that he's already forwarded to you, which fix the problem for
me. they are patches 02 through 08 on this web page:

http://www.citi.umich.edu/projects/nfsv4/linux/kernel-patches/2.6.11-rc2
-1/

i was wondering if we can get these in 2.6.11? while the problem
doesn't appear to affect correctness, the performance impact is
significant, enough that might affect any real world workloads that
depend on NLM locking.

- Chuck Lever
--
corporate: <cel at netapp dot com>
personal: <chucklever at bigfoot dot com>

by NeilBrown

Subject: Re: NFSv3 lockd performance problem

On Thursday February 3, [email protected] wrote:
> hi neil-
>
> when i run the connectathon locking tests over NFSv3 from a Linux
> client, the suite bogs down during test #7 and #12 because of problems
> authenticating the lockd callbacks. bruce fields pointed me to some
> patches that he's already forwarded to you, which fix the problem for
> me. they are patches 02 through 08 on this web page:
>
> http://www.citi.umich.edu/projects/nfsv4/linux/kernel-patches/2.6.11-rc2
> -1/
>
> i was wondering if we can get these in 2.6.11? while the problem
> doesn't appear to affect correctness, the performance impact is
> significant, enough that might affect any real world workloads that
> depend on NLM locking.

Hopefully, yes. I've got quite a backlog of issues due to a few weeks
leave that I have recently returned from. Bruce's patches should be
on their way to Andrew in a few days.

NeilBrown