2005-03-23 15:21:48

by Lever, Charles

Subject: new NFS FAQ questions

three new questions appear today:

A9. Why does opening files with O_APPEND on multiple clients cause the
files to become corrupted?

D10. I'm trying to use flock()/BSD locks to lock files used on multiple
clients, but the files become corrupted. How come?

D11. Why doesn't "mount -oremount,tcp" convert an NFS-mounted file
system mounted with UDP to one mounted with TCP?

i've also added links to some NFS-related blogs in the Quick Overview
section.

- Chuck Lever
--
corporate: <cel at netapp dot com>
personal: <chucklever at bigfoot dot com>

by Ara.T.Howard

Subject: Re: new NFS FAQ questions

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005, Lever, Charles wrote:

> three new questions appear today:
>
> A9. Why does opening files with O_APPEND on multiple clients cause the
> files to become corrupted?
>
> D10. I'm trying to use flock()/BSD locks to lock files used on multiple
> clients, but the files become corrupted. How come?

it's very nice to see as many developer oriented questions like this in the
FAQ as possible for those of us too lazy to poke into the source : thanks for
the work!

-a