2002-11-02 16:47:27

by Andrew Ryan

Subject: RE: 2.4.20-rc1 NFS/TCP client (still) hangs running dbench 2.0

At 06:57 AM 11/2/02 -0800, Lever, Charles wrote:
>i suspect andrew is seeing partial transmits -- in 2.4.20-pre, partial
>TCP transmissions are counted as retransmits. in fact, it looks like the
>patch i sent in august for 2.4.20-pre5 to fix xprt_write_space was never
>applied to 2.4. trond, can you ping marcelo on this? it's a pretty
>important performance enhancement that should be in 2.4.20.

It also seems that this patch was never included in Trond's
linux-2.4.20-NFS_ALL.dif patchset, although I found it in my email (sent
Aug 30, 2002). I'll test it out this weekend and post with/without results.

> > Note: the TCP timeout + retransmits will (unlike UDP) be of the order
> > of 60 seconds, so if these were real retransmits, you'd be seeing a
> > *very* noticeable slowdown...
>
>except that mount is broken and sets a 6 second TCP retransmission default
>rather than the standard value of 60 seconds.

Is this a big problem? Should we be upgrading/patching mount if we are
going to use TCP mounts?

thanks,
andrew