2003-10-23 20:06:39

by Chimento, Douglas

Subject: TCP: Server unavailable

Hello,
I am trying to setup a Linux client (RH9) to use tcp with nfs.
However
there server (also RH9) replies with
"nfs server reported service unavailable: Address already in use"

2003-10-24 21:03:19

by Matthew Galgoci

Subject: Re: TCP: Server unavailable

> # rpcinfo -p
> program vers proto port
> 100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper
> 100000 2 udp 111 portmapper
> 100024 1 udp 32768 status
> 100024 1 tcp 32768 status
> 100007 2 udp 819 ypbind
> 100007 1 udp 819 ypbind
> 100007 2 tcp 822 ypbind
> 100007 1 tcp 822 ypbind
> 391002 2 tcp 32769 sgi_fam
> 390113 1 tcp 7937
> 100011 1 udp 931 rquotad
> 100011 2 udp 931 rquotad
> 100011 1 tcp 934 rquotad
> 100011 2 tcp 934 rquotad
> 100003 2 udp 2049 nfs
> 100003 3 udp 2049 nfs

The server is not advertising nfs v3 over tcp support. Perhaps the kernel the server
is running does not support nfsv3 over tcp? I don't think any of the Red Hat Linux 9
kernels include nfs v3 over tcp support.

--

Matthew Galgoci "If you were a woman I'd kiss you right now."
System Administrator

by Chimento, Douglas

Thank you,
In fact that was the issue, I recompiled the kernel with TCP support and the
client was able to mount via tcp.
I wish to add the performance over TCP appears to be better than udp

Thanks

The server is not advertising nfs v3 over tcp support. Perhaps the kernel
the server
is running does not support nfsv3 over tcp? I don't think any of the Red Hat
Linux 9
kernels include nfs v3 over tcp support.

--

Matthew Galgoci "If you were a woman I'd kiss you right now."
System Administrator
Red Hat, Inc
919.754.3700 x44155

by Steve Dickson

Chimento, Douglas wrote:

>Hello,
> I am trying to setup a Linux client (RH9) to use tcp with nfs.
>However
> there server (also RH9) replies with
>"nfs server reported service unavailable: Address already in use"

TCP support on the server side is not configured in by default.

Note the lack of
100003 2 tcp 2049 nfs
100003 3 tcp 2049 nfs
entries in the rpcinfo output (assuming rpcinfo -p was done on the server)

SteveD.