2006-06-07 22:21:56

by Christopher Smith

Subject: Update to the NFS Howto

All--

I have put a draft update of the NFS-Howto up on the
nfs,sourceforge.net website. It contains no new content, but
encompasses the following changes:

1. A slightly different CSS style sheet to enhance its readability.
2. It has been updated to DocBook XML v4.2.

The draft is located here:

http://nfs.sourceforge.net/nfs-howtov4/

Please let me know if you have any questions or comments. If I have
not heard negative feedback by the end of the week, I will migrate
the new content to be the primary version.

Thank you for your time.

Best,
CMS
--
Christopher M. Smith

by Christopher Smith

Subject: Re: Update to the NFS Howto

Chax--

I'm in the process of reviewing the content of the README you have
submitted, and I will get back to you shortly.

Best,
CMS

On 6/9/06, Chakravarthi P <[email protected]> wrote:
> All-
>
> we have compiled a README for setting up NFSv4 client
> and server which works well on SLES.
> Can this be inclused as part of nfs-howto
> mentioned here.
> Please look through the attached README
>
> thanx
> chax.

> <[email protected]>, "Christopher M. Smith"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > All--
> >
> > I have put a draft update of the NFS-Howto up on the
> > nfs,sourceforge.net website. It contains no new content, but
> > encompasses the following changes:
> >
> > 1. A slightly different CSS style sheet to enhance its readability.
> > 2. It has been updated to DocBook XML v4.2.
> >
> > The draft is located here:
> >
> > http://nfs.sourceforge.net/nfs-howtov4/
> >
> > Please let me know if you have any questions or comments. If I have
> > not heard negative feedback by the end of the week, I will migrate
> > the new content to be the primary version.
> >
> > Thank you for your time.
> >
> > Best,
> > CMS
> > --
> > Christopher M. Smith
> > [email protected]

CMS
--
Christopher M. Smith

by Christopher Smith

Chax--

Thank you very much for what you have submitted. A few comments:

a) Some of the information tin the README is general to Linux, and
applies to all 2.6 implementations.
b) Some of the information here applies to SuSE specifically.
c) The Kerberos configuration section applies to both NFS Version 3 as
well as NFS Version 4.

What I would suggest is we do the following:

* Break out the portions that apply specifically to NFS Version 4 into
sections 3 and 4 of the HOWTO for server and client configuration.
* Break out the Kerberos documentation you've generated into a
subsection of the Security portion of the HOWTO, since it applies to
all NFS versions.
* Add notation where specific SuSE related configuration is required.

Either you or I can do this. Its up to you.

Is this acceptable?

Best,
CMS

--
CMS
--

by Chakravarthi P

CMS,

your suggestions are very useful and valid. I will incorporate them
and provide you with snippets of what needs to be added in the
various sections
of the howto and leave it to you to modify as required and update
the webpage.
there was another suggestion that came in the meanwhile.
So will incorporate that also and send the snippets as suggested
at the earliest.
thanx once again.

regards
chax.

>>> "Christopher Smith" <[email protected]> 06/12/06 7:03 pm >>>
Chax--

Thank you very much for what you have submitted. A few comments:

a) Some of the information tin the README is general to Linux, and
applies to all 2.6 implementations.
b) Some of the information here applies to SuSE specifically.
c) The Kerberos configuration section applies to both NFS Version 3 as
well as NFS Version 4.

What I would suggest is we do the following:

* Break out the portions that apply specifically to NFS Version 4 into
sections 3 and 4 of the HOWTO for server and client configuration.
* Break out the Kerberos documentation you've generated into a
subsection of the Security portion of the HOWTO, since it applies to
all NFS versions.
* Add notation where specific SuSE related configuration is required.

Either you or I can do this. Its up to you.

Is this acceptable?

Best,
CMS

On 6/12/06, Christopher Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
> Chax--
>
> I'm in the process of reviewing the content of the README you have
> submitted, and I will get back to you shortly.
>
> Best,
> CMS
>
> On 6/9/06, Chakravarthi P <[email protected]> wrote:
> > All-
> >
> > we have compiled a README for setting up NFSv4 client
> > and server which works well on SLES.
> > Can this be inclused as part of nfs- howto
> > mentioned here.
> > Please look through the attached README
> >
> > thanx
> > chax.

> > <6AF36215- 733E- 42C0- 9395- [email protected]>, "Christopher
M. Smith"

--
CMS
--

by Christopher Smith

Chax--

Thanks! Please let me know if you need a hand or want any assistance.

Best,
CMS

--
CMS
--

by Kevin Coffman

Some quick comments:

The following are more differences between suse and redhat:

suse redhat
--------------------------- ------------------------------
/etc/init.d/nfsserver /etc/init.d/nfs
/etc/init.d/gssd /etc/init.d/rpcgssd
/etc/init.d/svcgssd /etc/init.d/rpcsvcgssd
/etc/init.d/idmapd /etc/init.d/rpcidmapd

In /etc/sysconfig/nfs:

NFS_SECURITY_GSS SECURE_NFS

Leaving off the path entirely in the /etc/gssapi_mech.conf file may be
a work-around for 32/64 compatibility:

# library initialization function
# ================= ==========================
# The MIT K5 gssapi library, use special function for initialization.
libgssapi_krb5.so mechglue_internal_krb5_init

The other idmapd mapping method is "umich_ldap", not "ldap_umich".

Thanks,
K.C.

On 7/14/06, Chakravarthi P <[email protected]> wrote:

> Cms and all
>
> there are 3 sections in the attached txt file for addressing 'howto'
> -
> specific to nfsv4 and kerberos.
> i have marked a $$$ whenever something mentioned is suse specfic
> or if it is not specific to NFSv4 but NFS in general.
> please get back with your comments.
>
> regards,
> chax.

> <[email protected]>,
> "Christopher
> Smith" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Chax--
> >
> > Thank you very much for what you have submitted. A few comments:
> >
> > a) Some of the information tin the README is general to Linux, and
> > applies to all 2.6 implementations.
> > b) Some of the information here applies to SuSE specifically.
> > c) The Kerberos configuration section applies to both NFS Version 3
> as
> > well as NFS Version 4.
> >
> > What I would suggest is we do the following:
> >
> > * Break out the portions that apply specifically to NFS Version 4
> into
> > sections 3 and 4 of the HOWTO for server and client configuration.
> > * Break out the Kerberos documentation you've generated into a
> > subsection of the Security portion of the HOWTO, since it applies to
> > all NFS versions.
> > * Add notation where specific SuSE related configuration is
> required.
> >
> > Either you or I can do this. Its up to you.
> >
> > Is this acceptable?
> >
> > Best,
> > CMS

by Salo, Shaunda

Please take me off this email list, I believe I'm on it in error.

Thank you

Shaunda Salo
Customer Service Manager

Flood Processing Center
PO Box 2057
Kalispell, Mt 59903-2057

Phone: 888-888-2169 ext 247
Fax: 406-257-5709
Email: [email protected]

-
security?
easier
Geronimo

-
security?
easier
Download IBM WebSphere Application Server v.1.0.1 based on Apache
Geronimo

by Christopher Smith

Chax--

Sure, I'l just need to merge /reformat it Docbook XML, incorporate it into
the current document, and rebuild the files. That will take a bit of time,
but not a big deal at all.

I'll let you know when its complete (hopefully in the next 24 hours or so).

Best,
CMS