2006-11-21 02:24:17

by Murali Bashyam

Subject: Disabling NFS client caching

Hi

Is there a way to disable Linux NFS client data caching (NOT attributes)?

Murali

Attachments:
(No filename) (86.00 B)
(No filename) (102.00 B)
(No filename) (347.00 B)
(No filename) (140.00 B)

by Trond Myklebust

Subject: Re: Disabling NFS client caching

On Mon, 2006-11-20 at 18:24 -0800, Murali Bashyam wrote:
> Hi
>
> Is there a way to disable Linux NFS client data caching (NOT
> attributes)?

'man 2 open'. Read all about O_DIRECT.

Trond

by Murali Bashyam

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried the O_DIRECT option with O_RDONLY, and i
am still seeing a lot of reads not hitting the server, looks like they are
being handled locally still. I've got the sizes and addresses page aligned.
Is there anything else that needs to be done to bypass the caching?

Thx,
Murali

On 11/20/06, Trond Myklebust <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Mon, 2006-11-20 at 18:24 -0800, Murali Bashyam wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Is there a way to disable Linux NFS client data caching (NOT
> > attributes)?
>
> 'man 2 open'. Read all about O_DIRECT.
>
> Trond

Attachments:
(No filename) (585.00 B)
(No filename) (904.00 B)
(No filename) (347.00 B)
(No filename) (140.00 B)

by Trond Myklebust

On Tue, 2006-11-21 at 11:54 -0800, Murali Bashyam wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestion. I tried the O_DIRECT option with O_RDONLY,
> and i am still seeing a lot of reads not hitting the server, looks
> like they are being handled locally still. I've got the sizes and
> addresses page aligned. Is there anything else that needs to be done
> to bypass the caching?

No. O_DIRECT will cause every read to be sent to the server.

Trond