2006-07-14 18:30:48

by Noveck, Dave

Subject: Re: [nfsv4] Re: NFSv4 ACL and POSIX interaction / mask, draft-ietf-nfsv4-acls-00 not ready

I think in all the cases you mentioned, we a have situation in
which the set of attributes you ask for can effect whether you
get an error or not. I'm not aware of any case in which you
will get different values for a single attribute (no error in
either case) based on whether you are asking for a different
attribute. Other than things like asking for an attribute
that doesn't exist will cause an error to be set in rdattr_error,
but that is part of the function of rdattr_error.

-----Original Message-----
From: J. Bruce Fields [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Friday, July 14, 2006 2:23 PM
To: [email protected]
Cc: Sam Falkner; Pawlowski, Brian; Spencer Shepler;
[email protected]
Subject: Re: [nfsv4] Re: [NFS] NFSv4 ACL and POSIX interaction /
mask,draft-ietf-nfsv4-acls-00 not ready

On Fri, Jul 14, 2006 at 01:59:30PM -0400, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
> For a client that doesn't support the new attributes, a server can
apply
> the mask attributes to the ACL before returning it. I suppose a
> multi-protocol server would do the same for CIFS clients.

By the way, the proposed protocol behavior here is odd: the server
returns a different ACL depending on whether the client requested any of
the new mask attributes in the same GETATTR.

But I suppose there are other cases (rdattr_error, maybe some migration
cases??) where what we return can depend in strange ways on which
attributes were requested, so maybe it's not totally without precedent?

--b.

by J. Bruce Fields

On Fri, Jul 14, 2006 at 02:29:42PM -0400, Noveck, Dave wrote:
> I'm not aware of any case in which you
> will get different values for a single attribute (no error in
> either case) based on whether you are asking for a different
> attribute.

Yeah, OK. So, like I say, it's an odd thing to do. I haven't managed
to come up with any fundamental reason why it won't work, though.

--b.