2002-04-29 08:41:00

by Tina Arora

Subject: Error :Time Out

hi ,finally atleast nfs daemons have started on both my client and server....
I can see all of them using rpcinfo-p command ../
But theres another n need ur help ..while trying to mount a directory on the client I get error "Time Out"

Bye
Tina

2002-04-29 21:05:59

by Ryurick M. Hristev

Subject: Linux: nfsroot and a Tulip card

Hello,

After a prolonged mucking around I am finally out of any idea.

I have a problem:

I have a Linux based PC with a Tulip type network card which refuses
to read the root filesystem over nfs.

Given that the card have to be DHCP configured the network driver
is compiled into the kernel. The system boots, it gets configured
via DHCP, mounts the root via nfs (as shown by the logs) then hangs.

I have other systems with different network cards which do work
with the same setup. The system also works with Linux 2.2 but not 2.4

The tulip driver in Linux kernel 2.4 appears to be FUBAR so I used
the de4x5 which apparently works up to reading the nfsroot
(IIRC that was recommended by someone on the tulip driver mailing list).

TIA for any pointers, ideas, etc,

Ryurick M. Hristev mailto:[email protected]
Computer Systems Manager
University of Canterbury, Physics & Astronomy Dept., New Zealand

by John Sutton

Subject: Re: Linux: nfsroot and a Tulip card

Hi Ryurick

Did you ever get this problem sorted out? I've got exactly the same
problem and like you have run out of any ideas!

Any help you can give me will be much appreciated.

TIA
John Sutton

> Hello,
>=20
> After a prolonged mucking around I am finally out of any idea.
>=20
> I have a problem:
>=20
> I have a Linux based PC with a Tulip type network card which refuses
> to read the root filesystem over nfs.
>=20
> Given that the card have to be DHCP configured the network driver
> is compiled into the kernel. The system boots, it gets configured
> via DHCP, mounts the root via nfs (as shown by the logs) then hangs.=20
>=20
> I have other systems with different network cards which do work
> with the same setup. The system also works with Linux 2.2 but not 2.4
>=20
> The tulip driver in Linux kernel 2.4 appears to be FUBAR so I used
> the de4x5 which apparently works up to reading the nfsroot
> (IIRC that was recommended by someone on the tulip driver mailing list)=
=2E
>=20
> TIA for any pointers, ideas, etc,
>=20
> Cheers,
> --=20
> Ryurick M. Hristev mailto:r.hristev@ph...
> Computer Systems Manager
> University of Canterbury, Physics & Astronomy Dept., New Zealand
--=20

John Sutton
SCL Internet
URL http://www.scl.co.uk/