2002-11-27 02:25:45

by Bruce Allan

Subject: linux-2.4.19-18-noac.dif

Hi Trond/Chuck,

I was looking through Trond's patch repository and saw the patch listed
above. What was the problem, or potential problem, that lead to this
patch? What would/could happen if a page was not set up to date when an
entire page gets written by nfs_writepage_sync()? I couldn't find any
discussion of this in the archives other than the posting of the patch to
the nfs list.

http://www.fys.uio.no/~trondmy/src/2.4.19/linux-2.4.19-18-noac.dif

Regards,
---
Bruce Allan <[email protected]>
Software Engineer, Linux Technology Center
IBM Corporation, Beaverton OR
503-578-4187 IBM Tie-line 775-4187

by Trond Myklebust

> Hi Trond/Chuck,

> I was looking through Trond's patch repository and saw the
> patch listed above. What was the problem, or potential
> problem, that lead to this patch? What would/could happen if a
> page was not set up to date when an entire page gets written by
> nfs_writepage_sync()? I couldn't find any discussion of this
> in the archives other than the posting of the patch to the nfs
> list.

> http://www.fys.uio.no/~trondmy/src/2.4.19/linux-2.4.19-18-noac.dif

That is an optimization. If you know that you have written the entire
page, then you want to mark it as being up to date. If not, then the
VFS will end up scheduling a readpage() the next time someone tries to
read from that particular page.

Cheers,
Trond