2002-05-16 14:47:05

by darren.miller

Subject: NFS Server and long filenames

Hi all,

I need to know if there is a way of allowing excessively long filenames
over NFS, we currently have
HPUX which supports this feature.. our main problem is that some amateur
created a piece of software
which is now heavily used at my site, which creates computer generated
files with name in excess of
400 characters.

I have managed to get a file in excess of 400 characters on the local
system disk of our Linux Slackware
system only I can't seem to be able to get this to work over NFS.

baring in mind that the NFS mounting is done from Linux to HPUX.

Currently our Network Appliance NAS solution does this, and the HPs do
this, however Linux would appear
to be having some difficulty.

Any ideas, help or solution to problem welcome.

Darren

Darren Miller
Senior Systems Support Engineer
Microsoft Certified Professional
SCO Advanced Certified Engineer
Infomation Systems Department (Core Server Support)
Philips Semiconductors,Milbrook Industrial Estate,Southampton,SO15
0DJ,England