2002-10-29 19:35:04

by Juan Gomez

Subject: RedHat nfs-utils-0.3.3.drop-privs.patch problems.

I am having trouble when I apply this patch to statd for the following
reason. After the patch does drop_privs() to switch from root to rpcuser
statd_get_socket() is called and it fails to bind to reserved ports
(bindresvport()) as rpcuser is not root. Later when statd tries to notify
lockd of a server going down/back up for example (at the NFS client side)
lockd (in the kernel) refuses to take the notification because it is coming
from a non-priv port (which I think is fine)...

Is this a well-known problem or am I just doing something wrong here?

Regards, Juan