2003-07-15 21:40:32

by Robert Williamson

Subject: "NFS: readdir reply truncated!" messages

I'm these seeing messages occaisionally using 'dmesg' on both of my test
clients. What exactly does this mean? Is the packet size being truncated?

Robert V. Williamson <[email protected]>
Linux Test Project
IBM Linux Technology Center
Web: http://ltp.sourceforge.net
IRC: #ltp on freenode.irc.net

by Trond Myklebust

Subject: Re: "NFS: readdir reply truncated!" messages

> I'm these seeing messages occaisionally using 'dmesg' on both
> of my test clients. What exactly does this mean? Is the packet
> size being truncated?

It means that the packet sent by the server caused the client to
overrun because the end-marker was not found (i.e. the client found
itself attempting to read beyond the end of the packet).

Two possibilities:
- The server is failing to set the end-marker.
- The server is sending a packet that exceeds the 4k buffer
advertised by the client, and so the packet is truncated before we
reach the end-marker.

This is a non-fatal error, since the client should have no problems
recovering (it detect the overrun, and inserts its own end-marker)
however we still send out a warning message.

Cheers,
Trond