2003-05-16 23:25:01

by Bruce Allan

Subject: 2.6 Must-fix list from lkml / lse-tech

Hi Trond/Neil,

I noticed you guys have been active in the discussions of akpm's 2.6
must-fix list, but have not been following it all that closely. Is there
anything on the list w.r.t. NFS that you would like to submit to this email
list to call for participation whether it be to request peoples' time to
work on outstanding issues, ask for corroborating evidence of issues,
testing of experimental patches, or whatever?

Regards,
---
Bruce Allan <[email protected]>
Software Engineer, Linux Technology Center
IBM Corporation, Beaverton OR
503-578-4187 IBM Tie-line 775-4187

by NeilBrown

Subject: Re: 2.6 Must-fix list from lkml / lse-tech

On Friday May 16, [email protected] wrote:

> Hi Trond/Neil,
>
> I noticed you guys have been active in the discussions of akpm's 2.6
> must-fix list, but have not been following it all that closely. Is there
> anything on the list w.r.t. NFS that you would like to submit to this email
> list to call for participation whether it be to request peoples' time to
> work on outstanding issues, ask for corroborating evidence of issues,
> testing of experimental patches, or whatever?

Thanks for asking.

For the server side:
There is nothing on the "must-fix" list.
The issues that I know of are:
NFSv4 - which is on-going

rpcsec-gss which needs me to put a bit more time into working with
the guys at Umich who are working on this.

I want to release a new nfs-utils that makes better use of the new
functionality in nfsd. There is a branch of the sourceforge CVS
tagged neilb-devel which has most of the code I want to include,
but I need to review it and be sure I am happy with it.
Testing that would be nice.
To enable the new functionality you
mount -t nfsd nfsd /proc/fs/nfs
Then mountd only ever gives export data to the kernel in response
to an up-call. exportfs never gives data to the kernel but might
flush the kernel's cache if it sees a need. With this, a rejuvenated
"crossmnt" export option should work: If you export a directory
with "crossmnt" then any filesystems beneath that directory are
automatically exported aswell.
Finally, /var/lib/nfs/rmtab is never used and it you remove it and
reboot, any current client mounts should continue to work.

Finally I have had reports of poor stability with 2.5 nfsd, but I
don't have any specific details. If anyone wants to hammer nfsd
nice and hard and tell me lots of details about any negative
results, I would appreciate it.

NeilBrown