2007-09-05 16:48:08

by Terry Spaulding

Subject: NFS intermittent permission error on NFS mounted filesystem.....

List,

We get on occasion a permission error when we do a cd into an NFS mounted
filesystem on an NFS client.
The steps to correct have been on the NFS Client do a umount and mount.of
the NFS filesystem.
After that the permission problem goes away.

Is this a known problem with NFS with the version I am running ?
Is it corrected in the newer version that is available on the Novell
patches website ? (newer version is nfs-utils-1.0.6-103.28)

Message received:

NFSbob@Linux02 $ cd /opt/tivoli/z1/zdev
ksh: cd: /opt/tivoli/z1/zdev - Permission denied
NFSbob@Linux02 $

The Linux hosts systems are SLES9 SP3 with additional maint.

NFS is at: nfs-utils-1.0.6-103.23
kernel is at: 2.6.5-7.276-s390

The NFS filesystem is mounted thru the /etc/fstab:

Linux01:/opt/tivoli/zdev /opt/tivoli/z1/zdev nfs intr 0 0
Linux02:/ #

Mount display on the Client:

Linux02:/ # mount
/dev/mapper/mproot1 on / type ext3 (rw,acl,user_xattr)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=0620,gid=5)
/dev/mapper/mpboot1 on /boot type ext3 (rw,acl,user_xattr)
/dev/mapper/rootvg-usr on /usr type ext3 (rw,acl,user_xattr)
/dev/mapper/rootvg-var on /var type ext3 (rw,acl,user_xattr)
/dev/mapper/rootvg-opt on /opt type ext3 (rw,acl,user_xattr)
/dev/mapper/rootvg-home on /home type ext3 (rw,acl,user_xattr)
/dev/mapper/ITM6VG-tivlv1 on /opt/tivoli type ext3 (rw,acl,user_xattr)
Linux01:/opt/tivoli/zdev on /opt/tivoli/z1/zdev type nfs
(rw,intr,addr=10.64.77.28)
Linux02:/ #

Any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Terry L. Spaulding