2002-08-03 00:43:50

by Matt Heaton

Subject: XFS for NFS

A while the following post was made about XFS and that the problem was fixed in the 2.4.19 tree of the kernel.
My question is do I have to use 2.4.19rc5 on the server or the client or both to fix the problem. Also is the 1.x version
of nfs utils for the client or server or both?

Thanks,
Matt

>We have noticed a problem with a couple of our NFS servers (running
>RedHat 7.2 with a stock 2.4.18 kernel with XFS v1.1) whereby NFS access
>slows to a crawl or stalls.
>
>The exported filesystem(s) are XFS with 8 nfsd's running - when we have
>the problem the load average is about 8 - but CPU usage, disk access and
>network traffic are minimal.
>
>I found, by accident, that running the command 'sync' appears to 'fix'
>the situation...
>
>I'm not sure if this is an XFS or NFS related problem (hence posting to
>both lists).

XFS. 2.4.18 would sometimes get into a situation where two XFS
operations were waiting on locks (not deadlocked) and nothing was
moving. Performing some other disk activity such as sync would get
things moving again.

AFAICT this is fixed in the XFS CVS tree, against 2.4.19-rc1.

2002-08-03 02:18:19

by Chris Pascoe

Subject: Re: XFS for NFS

Hi Matt,

On Fri, 2 Aug 2002, Matt Heaton wrote:

> A while the following post was made about XFS and that the problem was
> fixed in the 2.4.19 tree of the kernel. My question is do I have to use
> 2.4.19rc5 on the server or the client or both to fix the problem. Also
> is the 1.x version of nfs utils for the client or server or both?

[cut text about periodic hangs with XFS]

The problem here was server-side, so upgrading your XFS kernel to the
2.4.19 release (now in their CVS tree) should fix this problem.

Regarding the NFS utils, you should be running the latest nfs-utils on
both the client and server if possible. The version of the nfs-utils does
not have any bearing on whether you see this problem with XFS or not,
though.

Regards,
Chris