2002-04-11 12:10:24

by Emanuel Quass

Subject: Re: IRIX NFS server and Linux NFS client

Hi,

I'm running as Client Linux 2.4.4 (kernel patched by SuSE) against
AIX-Servers(aix-4.3.3) / IRIX-Servers (6.5.9 and 6.5.11) /
Linux-Servers(2.4.9 and 2.2.17 both with NFS-Patches) and I can connect from
my Client to any Server with Version 3 (UDP of course).

I'm sorry that I can't give you a hint apart from upgrading nfs-utils to
0.3.3.

MfG
Emanuel

Am Donnerstag, 11. April 2002 09:34 schrieb Steffen Persvold:
> Hi all,
>
> Is there any reason why my Linux NFS client (kernel 2.4.18
> nfs-utils-0.3.1-13.7.2.1 from RedHat 7.2) is not able to mount a directory
> exported from an IRIX server in NFSv3 (not sure which version of IRIX
> yet, if this is important I will find out). NFSv2 works fine, but if I
> try to force NFSv3 I get "Connection refused".
>
> I'll appreciate any help.
>
> Regards,

by James Pearson

Subject: Re: Re: IRIX NFS server and Linux NFS client

Should work fine. My Linux boxes mount IRIX disks using NFSv3.

Make sure you have Trond's seekdir patch applied and try exporting the
IRIX file systems using the -32bitclients flag - although I haven't seen
"Connection refused" errors without using the patch or the export option

Note: I believe the nfs-utils version is irrelevant here as nfs-utils is
for NFS servers.

James Pearson

Steffen Persvold wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, Steffen Persvold wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Is there any reason why my Linux NFS client (kernel 2.4.18
> > nfs-utils-0.3.1-13.7.2.1 from RedHat 7.2) is not able to mount a directory
> > exported from an IRIX server in NFSv3 (not sure which version of IRIX
> > yet, if this is important I will find out). NFSv2 works fine, but if I
> > try to force NFSv3 I get "Connection refused".
> >
> > I'll appreciate any help.
> >

> I forgot to mention that NFSv3 works when an IRIX client mounts the same
> directory (i.e the directory shows up as "nfs" and not "nfs2" in the mount
> table on the IRIX client).
>
> Could it be that IRIX only supports NFSv3 with TCP and not UDP (I didn't
> try TCP mounting on the Linux client) ?
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Steffen Persvold | Scalable Linux Systems | Try out the world's best
> mailto:[email protected] | http://www.scali.com | performing MPI implementation:
> Tel: (+47) 2262 8950 | Olaf Helsets vei 6 | - ScaMPI 1.13.8 -
> Fax: (+47) 2262 8951 | N0621 Oslo, NORWAY | >320MBytes/s and <4uS latency

by Steffen Persvold

On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, James Pearson wrote:

> Should work fine. My Linux boxes mount IRIX disks using NFSv3.
>
> Make sure you have Trond's seekdir patch applied and try exporting the
> IRIX file systems using the -32bitclients flag - although I haven't seen
> "Connection refused" errors without using the patch or the export option

I haven't applied Trond's patches yet, and I have therefore also
experienced the problems which the patch fixes. I'm compiling a new
kernel at the moment, but I doubt this will fix the NFSv3 issue.

Maybe I should do some tcpdumps to figure out what is happening ?

BTW: The IRIX version on the server is 6.4 if this tells you anything, and
the directory was already exported with -32bitclients.

> Note: I believe the nfs-utils version is irrelevant here as nfs-utils is
> for NFS servers.

True,

Steffen