2002-04-18 08:08:35

by Steffen Persvold

Subject: NFS clients behind a masqueraded gateway

Hi all,

I'm experiencing some problems with a cluster setup. The cluster is set up
in a way that you have a frontend machine configured as a masquerading
gateway and all the compute nodes behind it on a private network (i.e the
frontend has two network interfaces). User home directories and also other
data directories which should be available to the cluster (i.e statically
mounted in the same location on both frontend and nodes) are located on
external NFS servers (IRIX and Linux servers). This seems to work fine
when the cluster is in use, but if the cluster is idle for some time (e.g
over night), the NFS directories has become unavailable and trying to
reboot the frontend results in a complete hang when it tries to unmount
the NFS directories (it hangs in a fuser command). The frontend and all
the nodes are running RedHat 7.2, but with a stock 2.4.18 kernel (plus
Trond's seekdir patch, thanks for the help BTW).

Ideas anyone ?

Thanks in advance,
--
Steffen Persvold | Scalable Linux Systems | Try out the world's best
mailto:[email protected] | http://www.scali.com | performing MPI implementation:

by Steffen Persvold

Subject: Re: NFS clients behind a masqueraded gateway

Hi again,

I hate to bother you guys again with this problem, but do you have any
ideas (haven't received any response so far) ?

Answers highly appreciated.