2002-05-15 21:21:52

by Steven Timm

Subject: nfs: task 51504 can't get a request slot

REcently I have seen a number of nodes running Redhat 7.1 plus 2.4.9-31
kernel give the above message a number of times. Any process which
is trying to access nfs at the moment hangs and can't be killed
except by shutting down the network altogether, plus the load
spikes by one for each one of these processes.

My nfs clients are using nfs v2.

Any idea what causes this and if there is any workaround short of a kernel
upgrade?

Steve Timm

Steven C. Timm (630) 840-8525 [email protected] http://home.fnal.gov/~timm/
Fermilab Computing Division/Operating Systems Support
Scientific Computing Support Group--Computing Farms Operations

by Trond Myklebust

Subject: Re: nfs: task 51504 can't get a request slot

> REcently I have seen a number of nodes running Redhat 7.1 plus
> 2.4.9-31 kernel give the above message a number of times. Any
> process which is trying to access nfs at the moment hangs and
> can't be killed except by shutting down the network altogether,
> plus the load spikes by one for each one of these processes.

Usually means there is a networking problem (more often than not a
network driver/card bug). See the FAQ on
http://nfs.sourceforge.net

Cheers,
Trond