2002-04-04 18:59:10

by David Dougall

Subject: assigning filesystem ID's

I heard recently that a feature had been added to the 2.5 kernel that
allowed the fsid to be assigned in the exports file. Has this been
back-ported to the 2.4.x series? Or is it just a part of the nfs-utils?
I have had problems in the past with failover nfs servers that mount the
partition, but it may be a different device number in /dev and therefore,
the clients return stale mount errors. Will the fsid setting in the
exports file solve this problem?
Please advise.
Thanks
--David Dougall

by NeilBrown

Subject: Re: assigning filesystem ID's

On Thursday April 4, [email protected] wrote:
> I heard recently that a feature had been added to the 2.5 kernel that
> allowed the fsid to be assigned in the exports file. Has this been
> back-ported to the 2.4.x series? Or is it just a part of the nfs-utils?
> I have had problems in the past with failover nfs servers that mount the
> partition, but it may be a different device number in /dev and therefore,
> the clients return stale mount errors. Will the fsid setting in the
> exports file solve this problem?
> Please advise.

It is in 2.5 and 2.4.19-pre4-ac4 and later (I think). It probably
wont be in 2.4.19 but might be in 2.4.20.

You need to get nfs-utils from the CVS on sourceforge. There hasn't
been a release made since that functionality was added.

It should fix your problem with different /dev numbers.

NeilBrown