2004-12-09 22:24:34

by Lever, Charles

Subject: RE: [Storage_sig] Re: Question on bug tracking for NFSv4 work

> On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 01:53:53PM -0800, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> > Maybe a good compromise would be for those of us doing testing who
> > want to track bugs, to do so, but continue using the=20
> mailing lists as
> > the primary mechanism. That way if the bug tracking=20
> approach fizzles
> > out, it doesn't affect normal processes, but if it succeeds then
> > people can make heavier use of it. Does this sound like a feasible
> > approach?
>=20
> I think that's the only way to go. Some developers may just=20
> never look
> at the bug database, so it may be necessary for other people to do
> things like retest and close old bugs for them.
>=20
> A bug database is certainly worth a try, though.

we tried this once already. i set up a cvstrac bug database here at
CITI. you and i were the only ones who actually touched the thing, and
now it is long since dead.

will something like this work if some people use it and others don't?
there's no way i can assign a bug to someone who won't use the database.
that means we have to have two separate processes for tracking bugs
(email and database) to accomodate both types of developers. and we
have to remember which process to use when submitting a bug report for
each developer.

i'd rather have a single common bug tracking system. that common
denominator seems to be e-mail.

by J. Bruce Fields

On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 02:24:27PM -0800, Lever, Charles wrote:
> we tried this once already. i set up a cvstrac bug database here at
> CITI. you and i were the only ones who actually touched the thing, and
> now it is long since dead.

Part of the problem was just that we didn't have the time to maintain
the database. (It was crashing periodically at one point).

> will something like this work if some people use it and others don't?

I don't know. We might be able to deal with a few who didn't if there
were testers willing to do some of the work for them. E.g. retest old
bugs and email the list if necessary.

To me it seems at least worth a try, if there's people willing to spend
the time.

--b.

by Bryce Harrington

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, J. Bruce Fields wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 02:24:27PM -0800, Lever, Charles wrote:
> > we tried this once already. i set up a cvstrac bug database here at
> > CITI. you and i were the only ones who actually touched the thing, and
> > now it is long since dead.

Do you think any of the bugs in that system still valid? If so would
it be possible for us to get a copy in some form (db dump or whatever)?

> Part of the problem was just that we didn't have the time to maintain
> the database. (It was crashing periodically at one point).

The two options we have both have dedicated sysadmin staff attached.
The existing nfs bug tracker on SourceForge has the SF administration;
there's outages every once and a while but it tends to be good enough.
For the other option, Bugzilla hosted at OSDL, we can get the normal
admin support as we do for the Linux kernel Bugzilla.

So I think that keeping the bugs themselves up to date (updating status,
etc.) would be our principle challenge. Keeping the system running
shouldn't be a problem.

> > will something like this work if some people use it and others don't?
>
> I don't know. We might be able to deal with a few who didn't if there
> were testers willing to do some of the work for them. E.g. retest old
> bugs and email the list if necessary.

I also don't know how it'll work, however at Inkscape we definitely have
some people who are more attentive to using it than others, and they
tend to make up for those who aren't. Also, a lot of bugs don't ever
make it to the tracker before getting fixed, and that ends up being
fine; the main value of the tracker is for bugs that can't (or won't) be
fixed right away, so they don't get lost.

> To me it seems at least worth a try, if there's people willing to spend
> the time.

Same here. I can dedicate time to getting it organized over the coming
months, if we have enough testers willing to make use of it.

Bryce

by J. Bruce Fields

On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 05:07:45PM -0800, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 02:24:27PM -0800, Lever, Charles wrote:
> > > we tried this once already. i set up a cvstrac bug database here at
> > > CITI. you and i were the only ones who actually touched the thing, and
> > > now it is long since dead.
>
> Do you think any of the bugs in that system still valid? If so would
> it be possible for us to get a copy in some form (db dump or whatever)?

It's pretty old, and would be a fair amount of work to work out what to
do with each bug. Definitely not worth the trouble.

--b.