2004-03-17 04:38:54

by [email protected]

Subject: Reserving port 800 on linux NFS clients

Recently, I've run into an issue where my Linux NFS clients are using
port 800 to communicate with NFSd daemons running on an Netapp Filer.

Is there any way to configure the Linux NFS client software to not use
port 800. Looking at the ports in use on my clients, it looks as if a
series of ports 797-800 are used to communicate to nfsd.

I would like to use port 800 for another daemon. On a few machines,
this conflict does not occur.

Subject: Re: Reserving port 800 on linux NFS clients

I think http://www.lowth.com/LinWiz/nfs_help.html would be helpful in
this.

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004, Errol Casey wrote:

> Recently, I've run into an issue where my Linux NFS clients are using
> port 800 to communicate with NFSd daemons running on an Netapp Filer.
>
> Is there any way to configure the Linux NFS client software to not use
> port 800. Looking at the ports in use on my clients, it looks as if a
> series of ports 797-800 are used to communicate to nfsd.
>
> I would like to use port 800 for another daemon. On a few machines,
> this conflict does not occur.

by Olaf Kirch

On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 01:50:08PM +0800, ian sison (mailing list) wrote:
> I think http://www.lowth.com/LinWiz/nfs_help.html would be helpful in
> this.

I don't think it will help, because this document covers server side
port allocation. The question was about the NFS client port allocation.

The NFS currently allocates a reserved port for the NFS client
by trying all ports from 800 downward, until it finds one it can
bind to.

There are two ways to make the client skip port 800.

- start your network service before mounting any NFS file
systems. When NFS tries to bind a reserved port, it
will find this one is already in use and skip it

- if that is not possible, you need to patch net/sunrpc/xprt.c
and change the XPRT_MAX_RESVPORT define to e.g. 799

Olaf
--
Olaf Kirch | Stop wasting entropy - start using predictable
[email protected] | tempfile names today!