2002-07-10 16:43:04

by Matt Bernstein

Subject: bind mounts and rpc quotas: horrible interactions

Hi,

I've only just noticed after upgrading our Debian potato server to woody
(some weeks ago) all rpc quotas are not working properly.

Our home directories are /homes/$LOGNAME where /homes is an autofs (yp)
mount. On client machines this is an NFS mount. On the server under potato
/homes contained a load of symlinks to /exportxx/users/$LOGNAME where xx
is some value. Under woody this is a bind mount. Fair enough, I think.

Client machines cannot see the quota information unless users (in their
home directory) do a "ln -s /exportxx/aquota.user". At this point they can
now interrogate their quota information--but it's not updated when they do
i/o to their home files. All of this seems wrong and horrible!

Does this even make sense to anyone? Downgrading is awkward..

Any help very gratefully received,

Matt

by Matt Bernstein

OK--we manually hacked rpc.rquotad to look in the right place, but our
hack has knowledge of where our right place is, and no knowledge of bind
mounts :-/

Did my mail make any sense to anyone?

Matt