2002-08-27 15:54:00

by Marco.Schwarz

Subject: AW: URGENT: Problems with NFS-Root-Clients

Right before this the network driver is configured (and yes, its in the
kernel ... it is not working most of the time, but sometime it is, and =
some
days ago it was the other way ... working most of the time, just =
sometimes
problems).

Network cards are Intel EEPro100, but we have a lot more of these (also =
with
diskless clients, same configuration/kernel), and the problem is =
happening
in just this one location ...

The 3 Lines before the errors:

Sending BOOTP requests . OK
IP-Config: Got BOOTP answer from 192.168.0.235, my adress is =
192.168.0.87
IP-Config: Complete:
(lots of ip adresses, all look OK).

Regards,
Marco

> -----Urspr=FCngliche Nachricht-----
> Von: Bogdan Costescu [SMTP:[email protected]]
> Gesendet am: Dienstag, 27. August 2002 17:40
> An: [email protected]
> Cc: [email protected]
> Betreff: Re: [NFS] URGENT: Problems with NFS-Root-Clients
>=20
> On Tue, 27 Aug 2002 [email protected] wrote:
>=20
> > NET4: Unix domain sockets 1.0/SMP for Linux NET4.0
>=20
> What are the lines just before this one ? Some network driver should =
be=20
> initialized there, provided that you selected it for compilation into =
the=20
> kernel (you did, didn't you ?)
>=20
> > Root-NFS: Server returned error -5 while mounting
> /netclients/192.168.0.87
>=20
> The whole thing seems to me like there is no network connectivity.
>=20
> --=20
> Bogdan Costescu
>=20
> IWR - Interdisziplinaeres Zentrum fuer Wissenschaftliches Rechnen
> Universitaet Heidelberg, INF 368, D-69120 Heidelberg, GERMANY
> Telephone: +49 6221 54 8869, Telefax: +49 6221 54 8868
> E-mail: [email protected]

by Bogdan Costescu

Subject: Re: AW: URGENT: Problems with NFS-Root-Clients

On Tue, 27 Aug 2002 [email protected] wrote:

> it is not working most of the time, but sometime it is, and some
> days ago it was the other way ... working most of the time, just sometimes
> problems).

Hmm, maybe you should fix this first ! What do you mean by "not working":
- sometimes it doesn't provide a link at boot time and you have to reboot
and eventually it will get past the point and afterwards eveything works
fine or
- it boots fine and there are intermitent problems afterwards or
- something else ?

> Network cards are Intel EEPro100, but we have a lot more of these (also with
> diskless clients, same configuration/kernel), and the problem is happening
> in just this one location ...

IIRC, there are different revisions of the cards, some of them having
some problems... so it's not sufficient to have another one working well !

> Sending BOOTP requests . OK
> IP-Config: Got BOOTP answer from 192.168.0.235, my adress is 192.168.0.87
> IP-Config: Complete:

Um, the link did work ! Can you try to ping it from the server ? That
should show if the link is down. Another (better) possibility would be to
turn on debugging in the network driver (change in source and recompile or
pass it on the kernel command line), but it depends on the driver that
you're using. F.e. for Donald Becker's drivers you can use debug level 2
or 3 to get media related information without getting too much
uninteresting (for this problem) stuff.

Another unrelated suggestion: can you make sure that you're not running
any kind of firewall (ipchains/iptables) on the server that could block
the communication ?

--
Bogdan Costescu