2002-09-10 23:29:31

by Troy Wu

Subject: NFS/2.4.18/reiserfs question

I've got a Dell PE-1550 with a PERC3-DC (dual channel) RAID card. I'm
using ReiserFS 3.6.25 but with a 3.5.x file format on-disk. I'm having
trouble symlinking in a directory which contains hundreds of thousands of
files to another directory slightly smaller.

After I make the link, I get garbage in a 'ls -lF'; i.e., the
listing shows the correct target, but adds what looks like
line-noise to the end of the filename. Of course, the link is
broken, and eventually, the kernel loses its mind and crashes the
machine.

I've been doing some reading on ReiserFS and know that it has trouble with
NFS in certain situations. I'd like to know if my problem is NFS-related
or ReiserFS-related. Can someone help me understand what that situation
is, how to determine if I'm in that situation, and possibly help me to
decide (if ReiserFS is the problem) if XFS will help?

Thanks,

--troy

by Paul Jakma

Subject: Re: NFS/2.4.18/reiserfs question

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, Troy Wu wrote:

> I've been doing some reading on ReiserFS and know that it has trouble with
> NFS in certain situations. I'd like to know if my problem is NFS-related
> or ReiserFS-related.

it's to do with how reiserfs assigns inode numbers.

> determine if I'm in that situation, and possibly help me to decide
> (if ReiserFS is the problem) if XFS will help?

Well, the tried and tested solution would be to use ext3.

> Thanks,
>
> --troy

regards,
--
Paul Jakma [email protected] [email protected] Key ID: 64A2FF6A
warning: do not ever send email to [email protected]