2004-12-21 16:59:52

by John Lumby

Subject: multi-hopping NFS - aka re-exporting mounted filesystems

I would like to be able to export an NFS-mounted filesystem for multi-hop
mounting. I.e.:

machine DIRHOST exports fs /dir for mount by machine CANMOUNTIT
machine CANMOUNTIT mount -t nfs .... mounthost=DIRHOST DIRHOST:/dir /candir

Now I want CANMOUNTIT to re-export /candir for machine WOULDLIKETOMOUNTIT

This doesn't work in the NFS I am using - nfs-utils 1.0.5 and linux kernel
2.6.7. On WOUDLIKETOMOUNTIT I get :
mount: Stale NFS file handle

I gather this is something that has come up from time to time and is not
supported in the nfs-utils.. However I found a reference in the archives
from someone claiming to have got it working
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-nfs&m=98762491202667&w=2
some package called nfs-server-2.2beta provided a --re-export option on
rpc.mountd and rpc.nfsd. I tried the homepage for it and the download
appears to have vanished and is ancient anyway.

My own particular need is for strictly read-only and I don't need it to be
supported, just to work for simple use. The reason I can't just export
/dir firectly from DIRHOST to WOULDLIKETOMOUNTIT
is because the owner of DIRHOST (who is not me) does not like to export to
machines outside a close physical distance (same building) owing to finding
occasionally that a runaway client will flood the local network. I own
CANMOUNTIT (in same building) and WOULDLIKETOMOUNTIT
is my laptop which could be anywhere.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to get this working, or can anyone
point me to where I could lay my hands on this --re-export source code?

John

by Peter Åstrand

Try unfs3: http://unfs3.sourceforge.net/.

--