2003-01-23 18:42:09

by Jeremy Sanders

Subject: rebooting server

Hi

We had to reboot our linux NFS server today (RedHat kernel-2.4.18-17.7.x)
to fix a disk in our RAID array. When the server came back, clients
running this kernel (or ...-19.7.x) couldn't see the exported directory
(giving permission denied). In the client logs we saw

Jan 23 17:46:16 xpc1 kernel: nfs_statfs: statfs error = 13
Jan 23 17:46:16 xpc1 kernel: nfs_statfs: statfs error = 13

Rebooting the clients fixed the problem, however we don't really want this
to happen in the future if the server dies.

The server was shut down cleanly. The /etc/exports file looks like

/dir @netgroup(rw,no_root_squash)

The exported directory is mounted using autofs, with maps supplied using
NIS.

The clients use the following options (in /proc/mounts).
server:/dir /mntpoint/dir nfs
rw,v3,rsize=4096,wsize=4096,hard,intr,udp,lock,addr=server.blah 0 0

Any ideas? Is it simply that the RedHat kernel has bugs? NFS utils is at
nfs-utils-0.3.3-5. Restarting /etc/rc.d/init.d/nfslock on the clients
didn't help, nor sending HUP signals to any of the rpc processes.

Thanks

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Sanders <[email protected]> http://www-xray.ast.cam.ac.uk/~jss/
X-Ray Group, Institute of Astronomy, University of Cambridge, UK.