2004-03-19 18:11:30

by Guolin Cheng

Subject: "nfs warning: mount version older than kernel" reported for 2.6.4 kernel on Fedora Core 1.0

Hi, all,

Nfs complains when I compile and use kernel 2.6.4 on Fedora Core 1.0. =
the warning message is:

host1> dmesg=20
Installing knfsd (copyright (C) 1996 [email protected]).
nfs warning: mount version older than kernel
nfs warning: mount version older than kernel
nfs warning: mount version older than kernel

host1> rpcinfo -p localhost
hello06.alexa.com guolin 138% rpcinfo -p localhost
program vers proto port
100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper
100000 2 udp 111 portmapper
100024 1 udp 32768 status
100024 1 tcp 32768 status
100011 1 udp 906 rquotad
100011 2 udp 906 rquotad
100011 1 tcp 909 rquotad
100011 2 tcp 909 rquotad
100003 2 udp 2049 nfs
100003 3 udp 2049 nfs
100021 1 udp 32770 nlockmgr
100021 3 udp 32770 nlockmgr
100021 4 udp 32770 nlockmgr
100005 1 udp 947 mountd
100005 1 tcp 971 mountd
100005 2 udp 947 mountd
100005 2 tcp 971 mountd
100005 3 udp 947 mountd
100005 3 tcp 971 mountd
300019 1 tcp 937 amd
300019 1 udp 938 amd
hello06.alexa.com guolin 139%=20

Anyone know why? and how to solve it? Thanks a lot.

--Guolin Cheng

by Chip Salzenberg

According to Guolin Cheng:
> Nfs complains when I compile and use kernel 2.6.4 on Fedora Core 1.0.

I've been seeing this too, on a Debian system. I should have realized
it was up to me to report this and/or fix it. :-,

So, what's the deal, guys?
--
Chip Salzenberg - a.k.a. - <[email protected]>
but he stepped in a wormhole and had to go in early." // MST3K

by Trond Myklebust

P=E5 fr , 19/03/2004 klokka 13:49, skreiv Chip Salzenberg:
> According to Guolin Cheng:
> > Nfs complains when I compile and use kernel 2.6.4 on Fedora Core 1.0.
>=20
> I've been seeing this too, on a Debian system. I should have realized
> it was up to me to report this and/or fix it. :-,
>=20
> So, what's the deal, guys?

The deal is that several people have made changes to the NFS mount
structures.

One such change is to allow NFSv2/v3 to use RPCSEC_GSS (BTW: we're
*still* waiting to hear from this list about including the RPCSEC_GSS +
NFSv4 support daemons into the official nfs-utils) the other is a change
requested by the SELinux peoples to allow them to pass security context
information into the kernel as part of the mount process.

Cheers,
Trond

by Bruce Allan

I, for one, would like to see these daemons put in nfs-utils (sorry for not
voicing an opinion earlier).

Regards,
---
Bruce Allan <[email protected]>
Software Engineer, Linux Technology Center
IBM Corporation, Beaverton OR
503-578-4187 IBM Tie-line 775-4187

[...]
> One such change is to allow NFSv2/v3 to use RPCSEC_GSS (BTW: we're
> *still* waiting to hear from this list about including the RPCSEC_GSS +
> NFSv4 support daemons into the official nfs-utils) the other is a change
> requested by the SELinux peoples to allow them to pass security context
> information into the kernel as part of the mount process.
>
> Cheers,
> Trond

Attachments:
(No filename) (795.00 B)

2004-03-19 20:03:22

by Chip Salzenberg

According to Trond Myklebust:
> (BTW: we're *still* waiting to hear from this list about including
> the RPCSEC_GSS + NFSv4 support daemons into the official nfs-utils)

Well, I'd be glad to look at patches for inclusion in Debian's
nfs-utils. I'd probably put them in CVS but on a branch.
--
Chip Salzenberg - a.k.a. - <[email protected]>
but he stepped in a wormhole and had to go in early." // MST3K

by J. Bruce Fields

On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 03:03:14PM -0500, Chip Salzenberg wrote:
> According to Trond Myklebust:
> > (BTW: we're *still* waiting to hear from this list about including
> > the RPCSEC_GSS + NFSv4 support daemons into the official nfs-utils)
>
> Well, I'd be glad to look at patches for inclusion in Debian's
> nfs-utils. I'd probably put them in CVS but on a branch.

The first four patches here:

http://www.citi.umich.edu/projects/nfsv4/linux/nfs-utils-patches/1.0.6-8/

are the ones we'd like to get into nfs-utils. (Actually, Neil applied
the first already, so it's just 2, 3, and 4.)

The original complaint of course is about mount, for which util-linux
needs patches:

http://www.citi.umich.edu/projects/nfsv4/linux/util-linux-patches/2.11z-3/

--Bruce Fields

by Steve Dickson

Chip Salzenberg wrote:

>According to Trond Myklebust:
>

>>(BTW: we're *still* waiting to hear from this list about including
>>the RPCSEC_GSS + NFSv4 support daemons into the official nfs-utils)
>>

>Well, I'd be glad to look at patches for inclusion in Debian's
>nfs-utils. I'd probably put them in CVS but on a branch.

You might want to take a look at the nfs-utils on my people page
(people.redhat.com/steved/nfs/nfsv4). Its got both the rpc.idmapd
and rpc.gssed integrated. The util-linux on the same page also
had the v4 mount hooks needed as well....

SteveD.

by Paul Jakma

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004, Trond Myklebust wrote:

> One such change is to allow NFSv2/v3 to use RPCSEC_GSS (BTW: we're
> *still* waiting to hear from this list about including the
> RPCSEC_GSS + NFSv4 support daemons into the official nfs-utils)

I dont know what the pitfalls would be, but if there arent too many,
my vote is "in". As soon as fedora has v4 enabled nfs-utils, i intend
to try it with rpcsec_gss.

regards,
--
Paul Jakma [email protected] [email protected] Key ID: 64A2FF6A
warning: do not ever send email to [email protected]

by Olaf Kirch

BTW I just found that the above mentioned kernel message will not go
away entirely unless you patch it out of your kernel. mount will try
to mount with the highest available kernel mount version by default
(usually 4 for all but very old kernels), but when that fails for some
reason, it will fall back to kernel mount version 3.

Olaf

On Sun, Apr 04, 2004 at 12:08:41AM +0100, Paul Jakma wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Mar 2004, Trond Myklebust wrote:
>
> > One such change is to allow NFSv2/v3 to use RPCSEC_GSS (BTW: we're
> > *still* waiting to hear from this list about including the
> > RPCSEC_GSS + NFSv4 support daemons into the official nfs-utils)
>
> I dont know what the pitfalls would be, but if there arent too many,
> my vote is "in". As soon as fedora has v4 enabled nfs-utils, i intend
> to try it with rpcsec_gss.
>
> regards,
> --
> Paul Jakma [email protected] [email protected] Key ID: 64A2FF6A
> warning: do not ever send email to [email protected]
> Fortune:
> There appears to be irrefutable evidence that the mere fact of overcrowding
> induces violence.
> -- Harvey Wheeler

Olaf Kirch | The Hardware Gods hate me.
[email protected] |