2006-01-12 17:27:32

by David Dougall

Subject: nfs client weirdness

I have a cluster of machines that mount nfs shares and reexport them
through samba. This has been working fairly cleanly for several years. I
made a change recently to newer hardware and what I think was a small
kernel change...
Anyway, the symptoms that are exhibited are samba drives not mapping, slow
access, etc. I log into the samba servers(which are nfs clients) and
everything looks fine as far as load and nfs mounting "appears" OK from a
cursory look. However my `dmesg` and syslog are full of lockd and
other bad-looking errors:
lockd: unexpected unlock status: 7
lockd: unexpected unlock status: 1
VFS: Busy inodes after unmount. Self-destruct in 5 seconds. Have a nice
day...
lockd: can't encode arguments: 5

These nfs clients are running 2.6.13 kernel on Intel Xeon 64 machines:
>cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.6.13 ([email protected]) (gcc version 3.3.5 (Debian
1:3.3.5-13)) #1 SMP Tue Sep 13 15:49:24 MDT 2005
The network card is an e1000 driver. Samba is version 3.0.14a.

The nfs servers are mostly 2.4.26 kernel running 32 bit kernels. 2 nfs
servers have been upgraded to SLES9 with 2.6.5-7.191. I am not sure if
the heterogeneous server environment may cause a problem for the clients.
Those 2 nfs servers were upgraded a few weeks ago.

The gist of the question is:
Are these error messages bad? If so, is there a kernel upgrade I should
do on either the client or server to prevent them(client would be much
easier)? What other diagnostic information can I give?
Thanks
--David Dougall