2007-10-18 13:18:23

by Allard Hoeve

Subject: lockd crash

file1 kernel bug 20071011.txt (20.51 kB)
(No filename) (314.00 B)
(No filename) (140.00 B)

by Trond Myklebust

Subject: Re: lockd crash

On Thu, 2007-10-18 at 15:18 +0200, Allard Hoeve wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> We've been experincing strange lockd crashes on one of our file servers
> lately. The kernel lockd gets stuck in a D state and is unkillable, while
> other NFS processes continue to work fine. Files are served, we're able to
> mount/umount etc, but trying to attain a lock results in a (killable with
> KILL) process on the client.
>
> We're running 2.6.17.3 currently. I know that's not a very new kernel, but
> we're stuck at that version for the moment, I'm afraid.
>
> I've attached a stacktrace that dmesg gave us. It would be great if you
> can take a look at it.
>
> Regards,
>
> Allard Hoeve

Already fixed in mainline. Please see

http://client.linux-nfs.org/Linux-2.6.x/2.6.23-rc7/linux-2.6.23-001-fix_lockd_circular_dependency.dif

Trond

by Allard Hoeve

Hello Trond, all,

>> We've been experincing strange lockd crashes on one of our file servers
>> lately. The kernel lockd gets stuck in a D state and is unkillable, while
>> other NFS processes continue to work fine. Files are served, we're able to
>> mount/umount etc, but trying to attain a lock results in a (killable with
>> KILL) process on the client.
>
> http://client.linux-nfs.org/Linux-2.6.x/2.6.23-rc7/linux-2.6.23-001-fix_lockd_circular_dependency.dif

Thanks for the link.

Is it feasible to backport this to, say 2.6.20?

Otherwise, I'll have to find a way to upgrade to 2.6.23, which is a bit
too new to my tastes :)

Regards,

Allard Hoeve

by Trond Myklebust

On Thu, 2007-10-18 at 17:09 +0200, Allard Hoeve wrote:
> Hello Trond, all,
>
> >> We've been experincing strange lockd crashes on one of our file servers
> >> lately. The kernel lockd gets stuck in a D state and is unkillable, while
> >> other NFS processes continue to work fine. Files are served, we're able to
> >> mount/umount etc, but trying to attain a lock results in a (killable with
> >> KILL) process on the client.
> >
> > http://client.linux-nfs.org/Linux-2.6.x/2.6.23-rc7/linux-2.6.23-001-fix_lockd_circular_dependency.dif
>
> Thanks for the link.
>
> Is it feasible to backport this to, say 2.6.20?
>
> Otherwise, I'll have to find a way to upgrade to 2.6.23, which is a bit
> too new to my tastes :)
>
> Regards,
>
> Allard Hoeve

It is already queued for the 2.6.22 stable series (in fact it may
already be in the last tarball).

It should be fairly trivial to backport both to 2.6.20 and 2.6.17...

Trond