2006-01-02 14:51:34

by Holger Smolinski

Subject: NFS re-export of non-local mountpoint

Happy New Year,

We are looking for a solution, that will allow us to re-export a non-local
mountpoint (e.g. Samba Share, or NFSmount) through at least NFSv3 to
another system using a Linux NFS Server.
Sinde knfsd lacks this functionality and we are not aware of any currently
maintained user space Linux NFS Server, that has this capability, we are
currently assessing the effort to add this functions to the knfsd. So far
I have understood, that the problem is in the file structure, that has to
carry 2 server file handles for the file and its parent directory, while
the current file structure has only space for inode numbers, that are
shorter than NFS server file handles. Are there any other issues, you see
and we need to take care of?

As a solution to the file structure space issue, one could imagine kind of
a translation table, which correlates index numbers stored in the inode
fields of the file structure and NFS server file handles like fully
qualified path & file name for an NFSmount. Then the knfsd could handle
these files like local files and reexport them like others. Would such a
solution be acceptable for the common code base, or would it be a special
hack forever? What would we need to specially take care of, when
implementing this idea?

Best Regards
Holger Smolinski
--
Dr. Holger Smolinski, Linux Technology Center, Linux on zSeries
Author of the '-t2'-Option

Attachments:
smime.p7s (5.09 kB)
S/MIME Cryptographic Signature

2006-01-02 17:47:20

by Trond Myklebust

Subject: Re: NFS re-export of non-local mountpoint

On Mon, 2006-01-02 at 15:51 +0100, Holger Smolinski wrote:
> Happy New Year,
>
> We are looking for a solution, that will allow us to re-export a non-local
> mountpoint (e.g. Samba Share, or NFSmount) through at least NFSv3 to
> another system using a Linux NFS Server.
> Sinde knfsd lacks this functionality and we are not aware of any currently
> maintained user space Linux NFS Server, that has this capability, we are
> currently assessing the effort to add this functions to the knfsd. So far
> I have understood, that the problem is in the file structure, that has to
> carry 2 server file handles for the file and its parent directory, while
> the current file structure has only space for inode numbers, that are
> shorter than NFS server file handles. Are there any other issues, you see
> and we need to take care of?

Yes: an NFS client doesn't do lookup of files or directories by inode
number, so the above scheme won't work unless the file happens to be in
cache.

Cheers,
Trond

by Trond Myklebust

On Mon, 2006-01-02 at 18:47 +0100, Trond Myklebust wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-01-02 at 15:51 +0100, Holger Smolinski wrote:
> > Happy New Year,
> >
> > We are looking for a solution, that will allow us to re-export a non-local
> > mountpoint (e.g. Samba Share, or NFSmount) through at least NFSv3 to
> > another system using a Linux NFS Server.
> > Sinde knfsd lacks this functionality and we are not aware of any currently
> > maintained user space Linux NFS Server, that has this capability, we are
> > currently assessing the effort to add this functions to the knfsd. So far
> > I have understood, that the problem is in the file structure, that has to
> > carry 2 server file handles for the file and its parent directory, while
> > the current file structure has only space for inode numbers, that are
> > shorter than NFS server file handles. Are there any other issues, you see
> > and we need to take care of?
>
> Yes: an NFS client doesn't do lookup of files or directories by inode
> number, so the above scheme won't work unless the file happens to be in
> cache.

BTW: why would you want to care about tracking the parent directory? I
know knfsd does this if you set the subtree_check flag, but that is
generally considered a bug.

Cheers,
Trond

by Peter Åstrand

On Mon, 2 Jan 2006, Holger Smolinski wrote:

> We are looking for a solution, that will allow us to re-export a
> non-local mountpoint (e.g. Samba Share, or NFSmount) through at least
> NFSv3 to another system using a Linux NFS Server. Sinde knfsd lacks this
> functionality and we are not aware of any currently maintained user
> space Linux NFS Server, that has this capability, we are currently
> assessing the effort to add this functions to the knfsd. So far

I think UNFS3 is what you are looking for: http://unfs3.sourceforge.net/

Peter ?strand ThinLinc Chief Developer
Cendio http://www.cendio.se
Teknikringen 3