2002-04-18 19:19:12

by Gavin Woodhatch

Subject: NFS Performance

Hi All

I am new to the list, but have been reading the Archives.

I need to Backup about 50 GB of Data. The Data is on a NFS Mounted
Partition. A local Backup is not possible.

The Data is mainly small files (HTML Pages, Pictures etc.) But there
are also some bigger files.

The Network thruput vary's from about 1-2 MB/s to 9 -10 MB/s. It is a
100 Mbit Network (Switched), the NFS Server is connected with a 1
Gbit Link.

I am Running a 2.4.17 Kernel with Trond's 2.4.17 NFS-all Patch.

I have tried the following mount options :

-o vers=3,async,hard,intr,nolock

Varied with differnt wsize and rsize (from 4096 to 32768, and also not
specified) , also tried with the option tcp.

The Max thruput changes a bit depending on the options but the
avg. does not change a great deal. (about 80 - 120 MB/min)

The NFS Server is a Auspex NS2000.

Anyone got an Idea how to get Linux to read the small files faster, or
howto just generaly make things faster (Read) ?

Any Ideas would be most welcome.

PS Sorry for the bad spelling, my english is rather rusty...

--

Freundliche Gr?sse (Kind Regards)

NetZone Ltd.
Gavin Woodhatch

* NetZone AG Webhosting *
* http://www.netzone.ch [email protected] *
* Alpenweg 12 Tel. +41 62 724 08 08 *
* CH-5035 Unterentfelden Fax. +41 62 724 08 06 *

by Lever, Charles

Subject: RE: NFS Performance

what's your backup media? your tape drive may be the
real bottleneck.

Subject: Re[2]: NFS Performance

Hi Charles

> what's your backup media? your tape drive may be the
> real bottleneck.

Its a 100 GB LTO (Ultrium) Tape Drive from HP. But even "tar cf
/dev/null /mnt" is not faster ..

Thanks

Gavin Woodhatch

NetZone Ltd.

Subject: Re: Re[2]: NFS Performance

[email protected] (Gavin Woodhatch) writes:
> Hi Charles
>
> > what's your backup media? your tape drive may be the
> > real bottleneck.
>
> Its a 100 GB LTO (Ultrium) Tape Drive from HP. But even "tar cf
> /dev/null /mnt" is not faster ..

If tar is also slow, try with bigger blocks (by default tar reads/writes
using blocks that are 20x512 bytes and on one of my servers it is not fast
enough to make a DLT tape streaming).

man tar (-b --block-size)

--
Mathieu Chouquet-Stringer E-Mail : [email protected]
It is exactly because a man cannot do a thing that he is a