2011-03-18 18:09:30

by Guido Trentalancia

Subject: [refpolicy] text relocations for Altera Quartus II

Hello !

Up until the beginning of this year the Altera Quartus II (free/web
edition) for Linux was requiring text relocations on most of the dynamic
libraries shipped with the package (not open source). Many people on the
Altera forum were just disabling SELinux and to the best of my knowledge
Altera did not provide fixed binaries.

If it is of any interest to anybody, I could do some more detailed
research and get back with the list of files that would need to be added
to system/libraries.fc (provided that the installer has a default
location which I cannot remember now).

Regards,

Guido

2011-03-18 23:44:51

by Russell Coker

On Sat, 19 Mar 2011, Guido Trentalancia <[email protected]> wrote:
> Up until the beginning of this year the Altera Quartus II (free/web
> edition) for Linux was requiring text relocations on most of the dynamic
> libraries shipped with the package (not open source). Many people on the
> Altera forum were just disabling SELinux and to the best of my knowledge
> Altera did not provide fixed binaries.
>
> If it is of any interest to anybody, I could do some more detailed
> research and get back with the list of files that would need to be added
> to system/libraries.fc (provided that the installer has a default
> location which I cannot remember now).

Why would we want to add support for such non-free software?

That seems likely to get us more uncontrolled growth in .fc entries and less
benefit than most things that we might do, particularly as they have an
"installer" rather than using .deb or .rpm.

Why not just write a blog post about how the user can run chcon after
installation and also describe how Altera could fix their build environment?

--
My Main Blog http://etbe.coker.com.au/
My Documents Blog http://doc.coker.com.au/

2011-03-19 14:55:56

by Guido Trentalancia

Hello Russell !

On Sat, 19/03/2011 at 10.44 +1100, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Mar 2011, Guido Trentalancia <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Up until the beginning of this year the Altera Quartus II (free/web
> > edition) for Linux was requiring text relocations on most of the dynamic
> > libraries shipped with the package (not open source). Many people on the
> > Altera forum were just disabling SELinux and to the best of my knowledge
> > Altera did not provide fixed binaries.
> >
> > If it is of any interest to anybody, I could do some more detailed
> > research and get back with the list of files that would need to be added
> > to system/libraries.fc (provided that the installer has a default
> > location which I cannot remember now).
>
> Why would we want to add support for such non-free software?

The web edition is free software. It is not open-source.

In any case, the following should be considered:
- it hasn't got an equivalent (at present there are packages in
libraries.fc that have open-source equivalents, e.g. Acrobat Reader,
Realplayer);
- it is software from a vendor to support its own hardware products, so
it's very specific;
- users are unable to run it and are therefore are disabling SELinux
which is worse;
- it is widely used in universities and distributed for free with RTL
design books;
- I do not care personally as my installation had been fixed locally
long time ago within seconds.

> That seems likely to get us more uncontrolled growth in .fc entries and less
> benefit than most things that we might do, particularly as they have an
> "installer" rather than using .deb or .rpm.

Well, if the installer has a default base installation path, then there
won't me much difference...

> Why not just write a blog post about how the user can run chcon after
> installation and also describe how Altera could fix their build environment?

Done already on the Altera forum. But no reply from Altera. I am not
connected with them in any way, it's just something that I need to use.
For fairness now, I shall mention that a similar products from Xilinx
are also available.

Regards,

Guido

2011-03-20 22:12:23

by paul

On Sat, 19 Mar 2011 15:55:56 +0100
Guido Trentalancia <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hello Russell !
>
> On Sat, 19/03/2011 at 10.44 +1100, Russell Coker wrote:
> > On Sat, 19 Mar 2011, Guido Trentalancia <[email protected]>
> > wrote:
> > > Up until the beginning of this year the Altera Quartus II
> > > (free/web edition) for Linux was requiring text relocations on
> > > most of the dynamic libraries shipped with the package (not open
> > > source). Many people on the Altera forum were just disabling
> > > SELinux and to the best of my knowledge Altera did not provide
> > > fixed binaries.
> > >
> > > If it is of any interest to anybody, I could do some more detailed
> > > research and get back with the list of files that would need to
> > > be added to system/libraries.fc (provided that the installer has
> > > a default location which I cannot remember now).
> >
> > Why would we want to add support for such non-free software?
>
> The web edition is free software. It is not open-source.
>
> In any case, the following should be considered:
> - it hasn't got an equivalent (at present there are packages in
> libraries.fc that have open-source equivalents, e.g. Acrobat Reader,
> Realplayer);
> - it is software from a vendor to support its own hardware products,
> so it's very specific;
> - users are unable to run it and are therefore are disabling SELinux
> which is worse;
> - it is widely used in universities and distributed for free with RTL
> design books;
> - I do not care personally as my installation had been fixed locally
> long time ago within seconds.
>
> > That seems likely to get us more uncontrolled growth in .fc entries
> > and less benefit than most things that we might do, particularly as
> > they have an "installer" rather than using .deb or .rpm.
>
> Well, if the installer has a default base installation path, then
> there won't me much difference...
>
> > Why not just write a blog post about how the user can run chcon
> > after installation and also describe how Altera could fix their
> > build environment?
>
> Done already on the Altera forum. But no reply from Altera. I am not
> connected with them in any way, it's just something that I need to
> use. For fairness now, I shall mention that a similar products from
> Xilinx are also available.

I got some similar file contexts for EMC NetWorker (an "enterprise"
backup solution) added in Fedora and RHEL just by posting on
fedora-selinux-list. That was another vendor that was suggesting to
turn off SELinux for the want of a few context fixes (they actually
package their software in RPMs so the contexts are set up correctly on
install now, which is completely painless :-)).

Paul.

2011-03-20 23:09:46

by Guido Trentalancia

Hi Paul,

thanks for sharing your experience.

On Sun, 2011-03-20 at 22:12 +0000, Paul Howarth wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Mar 2011 15:55:56 +0100
> Guido Trentalancia <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Hello Russell !
> >
> > On Sat, 19/03/2011 at 10.44 +1100, Russell Coker wrote:

> > > Why would we want to add support for such non-free software?
> >
> > The web edition is free software. It is not open-source.
> >
> > In any case, the following should be considered:
> > - it hasn't got an equivalent (at present there are packages in
> > libraries.fc that have open-source equivalents, e.g. Acrobat Reader,
> > Realplayer);
> > - it is software from a vendor to support its own hardware products,
> > so it's very specific;
> > - users are unable to run it and are therefore are disabling SELinux
> > which is worse;
> > - it is widely used in universities and distributed for free with RTL
> > design books;
> > - I do not care personally as my installation had been fixed locally
> > long time ago within seconds.
> >
> > > That seems likely to get us more uncontrolled growth in .fc entries
> > > and less benefit than most things that we might do, particularly as
> > > they have an "installer" rather than using .deb or .rpm.
> >
> > Well, if the installer has a default base installation path, then
> > there won't me much difference...
> >
> > > Why not just write a blog post about how the user can run chcon
> > > after installation and also describe how Altera could fix their
> > > build environment?
> >
> > Done already on the Altera forum. But no reply from Altera. I am not
> > connected with them in any way, it's just something that I need to
> > use. For fairness now, I shall mention that a similar products from
> > Xilinx are also available.
>
> I got some similar file contexts for EMC NetWorker (an "enterprise"
> backup solution) added in Fedora and RHEL just by posting on
> fedora-selinux-list. That was another vendor that was suggesting to
> turn off SELinux for the want of a few context fixes (they actually
> package their software in RPMs so the contexts are set up correctly on
> install now, which is completely painless :-)).

To the best of my knowledge Altera has never suggested to disable
SELinux (or to enable it). Users on the forum were suggesting that as
mutual help.

It's just a minor thing though. Because we'll never reach an end if we
were to test and support every application that is available for Linux.

Regards,

Guido