2009-04-03 00:25:24

by Kohei KaiGai

Subject: [refpolicy] [RFC] Security policy reworks for SE-PostgreSQL

Joshua Brindle wrote:
> KaiGai Kohei wrote:
>> Chris,
>>
>> What is your opinion about this reworks?
>> If its scale is too large to commit at once, I can separate it
>> into several pieces.
>>

> I don't think it is a good idea to merge the object class changes at this point.
> The object classes and permissions are likely to change with sepostgresql going
> forward, as that community determines what they like and don't like
> access-control wise.
>
> Additionally there is another object manager (RUBIX) that is now going to be
> reliant on these object classes so it would be nice for them to work out some of
> their implementation just to be sure these are sufficient and finally merging
> these object class changes is going to break the sepostgres that is in fedora
> right now.
>
> I'm not sure how you plan to reconcile the sepostgres in Fedora vs. the work
> with upstream postgresql with the policies available in Fedora (and upstream
> refpolicy) but I don't think we can just start breaking things now, upstream
> refpolicy shouldn't be treated as a playground.

It is a deadlock for me... :(

I plan SE-PostgreSQL adopts the new object classes and permissions
(and some of enhancements on libselinux) in the upcoming Fedora 11,
but I'll also continue to maintain the current design on Fedora 10
or 9 already released.

The upstream PostgreSQL is going to have the next major version up
very soon, and it does not undertake the disk format compatibility
across the major versions. It means users need to migrate their
database files for the new versions.
It is a good chance to switch to the new security design without
breaking the current database.

During the efforts to upstream SE-PostgreSQL, I don't think pgsql
hackers can modify or replace the security policy, so it needs to
continue the proposition on the current design, but it also means
we have to change the design at some future point.

I really really would like to get it merged in this timing.

Thanks,