2012-09-12 07:02:44

by Guido Trentalancia

Subject: [refpolicy] how to best deal with the move from bin to /usr/sbin

Hello.

> Many distributions want to get rid of /bin and /sbin and use /usr/bin
> and usr/sbin/ respectively instead.

> how to best deal with that?

> do we add a file_contexts.subs_dist entry or edit all /bin /sbin entries
> with (usr/)?

In my opinion, the file_contexts.subs_dist is not to be edited by
Reference Policy, but only by individual distributions (in their private
patches that will always exist to some extent) or by end-users.

It is provided by Reference Policy as an aid towards easier
customization of binary locations and should contain very few entries
(for example, if the are critical).

In that view, the addition of /etc/rc.d/init.d /etc/init.d alias is
already in excess.

If you are sure that a given alternative base location is used by a
given distribution, then perhaps you could add commented entries in
file_contexts.subs_dist specifying the distribution using such
alternative location...

> How does Fedora deal with this?

Best regards,

Guido