2012-08-14 16:24:20

by Cedric VONCKEN

Subject: Mesh addressing issue

??????????????? Dear all,

I think I found an issue in mesh addressing.
I used the compat-2012-06-14.

My network topology for the test is :
----------------- ?? -------------------?? Wired LAN????? -----------------
|MP1??????? |? |MP2???? ????? |------------------| Computer ?? |
|192.168.4.1|?? |192.168.4.253|?????????????? ?? ? |192.168.4.90 |
----------------- ?? -------------------????? ?? ????????? ---------------

The MP1 is not bridged with any wired interface (The ip address is set directly on WLAN0 interface)
The MP2 is bridged with eth0 to offer link with a wired network (My computer is connected with the wired network).

If I try to ping from Computer to MP1.
The ICMP request sent on WiFi (from MP2 to MP1) is a broadcast frame using a strange address format (3 address in 802.11 header + 1 address in mesh extension) .
The ICMP reply sent on wifi (from MP1 to MP2) is unicast frame using 6 addresses format.

Why the ICMP request is sent with address 1 set to broadcast (It was not the case for older compat-2011-08-25)?

If in MP1 I move the WLAN0 to a bridge with brctl (with no other interface), ICMP request are still sent with broadcast,
But
?If I change the mac address of bridge interface, the ICMP request is now sent in unicast ?format (using the 6 addresses formats) !

Best regards

Cedric Voncken

2012-08-16 09:25:24

by Cedric VONCKEN

Subject: RE: Mesh addressing issue

Dear Thomas,

Please find in atachment 3 file capture.
Computer.pcap : This capture show the ICMP request sent by the
computer. The MAC address destination is unicast.
Mp2_to_mp1.pcap : this capture show the ICMP request (frame 33)
from MP2 to MP1 in mesh network. The MAC address destination is broadcast
Mp1.pcap : this capture show the ICMP request message received on
MP1 WLAN0 interface. The MAC address destination is broadcast

Thanks for your help.

[mailto:[email protected]] De la part de Thomas Pedersen
Envoy??: mardi 14 ao?t 2012 21:13
??: Cedric VONCKEN
Cc?: [email protected]
Objet?: Re: Mesh addressing issue

Hi Cedric,

-----------------

---------------

> The MP1 is not bridged with any wired interface (The ip address is set
> directly on WLAN0 interface) The MP2 is bridged with eth0 to offer link
with a wired network (My computer is connected with the wired network).

> If I try to ping from Computer to MP1.
> The ICMP request sent on WiFi (from MP2 to MP1) is a broadcast frame
using a strange address format (3 address in 802.11 header + 1 address in
mesh extension) .
> The ICMP reply sent on wifi (from MP1 to MP2) is unicast frame using
6 addresses format.

> Why the ICMP request is sent with address 1 set to broadcast (It was not
the case for older compat-2011-08-25)?

> If in MP1 I move the WLAN0 to a bridge with brctl (with no other
> interface), ICMP request are still sent with broadcast, But If I
> change the mac address of bridge interface, the ICMP request is now sent
in unicast format (using the 6 addresses formats) !

Based on the information you've provided, none of this immediately sounds
wrong. Can you please link to a capture file we can investigate?

Thanks,
Thomas

Attachments:
mp1.pcap (370.00 B)
mp2_to_mp1.pcapng (6.53 kB)
computer.pcap (386.00 B)

by Thomas Pedersen

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 2:26 AM, voncken <[email protected]> wrote:
> Computer.pcap : This capture show the ICMP request sent by the
> computer. The MAC address destination is unicast.
> Mp2_to_mp1.pcap : this capture show the ICMP request (frame 33)
> from MP2 to MP1 in mesh network. The MAC address destination is broadcast

This is clearly wrong, thanks for reporting. Expect a patch fixing this shortly.

Thomas

2012-08-14 19:13:25

by Thomas Pedersen