2024-02-02 05:14:19

by Brent Roman

Subject: rtw88 driver support for rtl8723ds does not work on Radxa RockPi-S

The Radxa RockPi-S has a built-in RTL8723DS interfaced to a Rockchip
RK3308 A35 ARM64 processor on one of its SDIO busses.

I maintain Armbian's support this board.

The built-in WiFi works perfectly with RTL's 8723ds.ko driver.
Recently, the rtw88 driver got support for SDIO.
https://lwn.net/Articles/925940/

However, when we attempt to enable the rtw88_8723ds module, WiFi does
not work.

Specifically, the WiFi scan returns only the strongest AP while
indicating that AP has a very weak signal.
No connections can be made.

Unloading the rtw88_8723ds modules to replace it with 8723ds immediately
restores WiFi function without the need to reboot the system.

Has anyone tested the SDIO variant of this driver?
If so, on which board(s)?

I'd very much like to get this working.
Any tips for debugging, or just getting relevant info from the driver,
would be appreciated.

Thanks!