2012-11-12 17:57:25

by Paul Stoaks

Subject: Noob question: Development Environment

Greetings. Sorry to interrupt with a newbie question, but I need some help
on setting up a linux wireless development and test environment. What I
would like to have is a stable development and test environment where I can
work for a period of months without having to upgrade the kernel version on
my development and test machines, but staying close to the bleeding edge
with the core wireless modules and drivers.

I have successfully built the wireless-testing tree from GIT, but have only
discovered how to install the entire kernel produced from the build, not
just the wireless modules. What I would like to do is to install only the
wireless modules, as I can do with the compat-wireless tree. I have gotten
compat-wireless to work for me with a lot of labor (refreshing patches), but
I'm unsure of the correct work-flow with it.

How are you folks accomplishing this?

Please feel free to point me to the archives or a web page. I've groped all
around the internet and have failed to answer my questions. (If you point
me to the archives, please give me a keyword to search on as I have looked
and been unsuccessful in finding the relevant information.)

Thank you very much!
Paul Stoaks

2012-11-12 18:45:05

by Paul Stoaks

Subject: RE: Noob question: Development Environment

Hello Javier,

I think that's a fantastic approach, and I have successfully built
distro11s, but I was hoping for something a little less exotic using
equipment I had on hand to start with. My journey over this last week has
been very educational but I was left with lots of holes in my understanding,
hence my question.

I have some USB devices on order and will likely switch over to the VM
approach before long. (Although I may take a detour into simulation for a
bit.)

Thanks, Thomas for your pointer to the compat-drivers pages. I had been to
the old one, but there looks to be some info here that I had missed.

So much to learn, so little time!
Paul