2011-03-02 11:07:42

by Hubert Tonneau

Subject: 32 bits executables with 64 bits kernel wifi issue

Hi,

If I use a 32 bits kernel, then I can connect to any Wifi box,
but if I use a 64 bits kernel with 32 bits executables,
it will connect on some Wifi boxes (french Freebox), but fail to connect to others (french Livebox).

The wifi driver used is iwl3945.
When connection fails, WPA supplicant will report successfull association,
but udhcpc will fail to get a lease.
It does not seem to be related to a peticular kernel release: I tested with 2.6.36.4,
but get the same problem with 2.6.32.28 64 bits.

Regards,
Hubert Tonneau

2011-03-02 13:45:39

by John W. Linville

On Wed, Mar 02, 2011 at 11:54:07AM +0000, Hubert Tonneau wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If I use a 32 bits kernel, then I can connect to any Wifi box,
> but if I use a 64 bits kernel with 32 bits executables,
> it will connect on some Wifi boxes (french Freebox), but fail to connect to others (french Livebox).
>
> The wifi driver used is iwl3945.
> When connection fails, WPA supplicant will report successfull association,
> but udhcpc will fail to get a lease.
> It does not seem to be related to a peticular kernel release: I tested with 2.6.36.4,
> but get the same problem with 2.6.32.28 64 bits.
>
> Regards,
> Hubert Tonneau

We have had a number of 32/64 compatibility problems with the wireless
extensions API in the past. I wonder if this is another one?

Does your version of wpa_supplicant support the "-Dnl80211" option
(instead of "-Dwext")? It might be worth trying that to see if it
works better?

John
--
John W. Linville Someday the world will need a hero, and you
[email protected] might be all we have. Be ready.

2011-03-02 17:01:53

by Hubert Tonneau

John W. Linville wrote:

> Does your version of wpa_supplicant support the "-Dnl80211" option
> (instead of "-Dwext")? It might be worth trying that to see if it
> works better?

Your assertion that I was using -Dwext was right.

The WPA supplicant I use (v0.6.9) has support for -Dnl80211
and using it does not change the situation: works in 32 bits mode,
does not work on some wifi box with 64 bits kernel and 32 bits executables.

Regards,
Hubert Tonneau