2007-09-28 13:17:07

by Patrick Ziegler

Subject: 802.11n drivers

Hi,

we are working with new 802.11n Hardware. Is there a driver for some
kinds of Hardware yet? Especially for Broadcom chipsets ( bcm2055 ) so
called "Intensi-fi" ?

--

Dipl. Inf. (FH) Patrick Ziegler

University Of Applied Sciences
Kaiserslautern

Amerikastrasse 1
D-66482 Zweibruecken
Germany

Phone: +49 6332 914 526
Mail: [email protected]

http://www.fh-kl.de

2007-09-29 08:48:29

by Johannes Berg

Subject: Re: 802.11n drivers

On Sat, 2007-09-29 at 10:09 +0800, Li YanBo wrote:

> The Airgo chipset is a pre-n product, and the feature to support
> standard 802.11n hasn't been implement yet. we will try to see whether
> it can be used to support 80211n later. but if anything I can help you
> now, I'd glad to do.

Oh, ok, do you know what's different between the pre-N implemented by
this chip and standard-N (say draft 2.0 or so)?

johannes

Attachments:
signature.asc (828.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2007-09-29 02:09:40

by YanBo

On 9/28/07, Johannes Berg <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-09-28 at 14:47 +0200, Patrick Ziegler wrote:
>
> > we are working with new 802.11n Hardware. Is there a driver for some
> > kinds of Hardware yet?
>
> Intel has a driver for their 4965 chipset and reverse engineering/driver
> projects for the airgo chipset are in progress.

Hi

The Airgo chipset is a pre-n product, and the feature to support
standard 802.11n hasn't been implement yet. we will try to see whether
it can be used to support 80211n later. but if anything I can help you
now, I'd glad to do.

lyb

2007-09-29 16:14:10

by Sam Leffler

Johannes Berg wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-09-29 at 10:09 +0800, Li YanBo wrote:
>

>> The Airgo chipset is a pre-n product, and the feature to support
>> standard 802.11n hasn't been implement yet. we will try to see whether
>> it can be used to support 80211n later. but if anything I can help you
>> now, I'd glad to do.
>>

> Oh, ok, do you know what's different between the pre-N implemented by
> this chip and standard-N (say draft 2.0 or so)?

I am aware of 3 flavors: pre-N (pre 802.11 working group, like Airgo),
D1.x 11n, D2.x 11n. Getting D1.x and D2.x cards to interop isn't a big
deal (at least at some reduced level of operation). Several things make
this confusing:

1. retail labeling is unclear
2. chips are being rev'd quickly so retail products are typically out of
date
before they hit the shelves
3. 11n isn't ratified so in the meantime various groups have defined
test plans
for interop and compliance w/ one plan doesn't necessarily mean you
interop w/ the other(s)

Now is definitely the time to be doing 11n. There is significant effort
getting up to speed on all that is involved.

Sam

2007-09-28 15:06:55

by Johannes Berg

On Fri, 2007-09-28 at 14:47 +0200, Patrick Ziegler wrote:

> we are working with new 802.11n Hardware. Is there a driver for some
> kinds of Hardware yet?

Intel has a driver for their 4965 chipset and reverse engineering/driver
projects for the airgo chipset are in progress.

> Especially for Broadcom chipsets ( bcm2055 ) so
> called "Intensi-fi" ?

No, we haven't done that yet. "2055" is the Broadcom 802.11n radio chip,
the actual device is still identified as bcm43xx. I'm interested in
doing the necessary reverse engineering but I don't currently have any
hardware.

johannes

Attachments:
signature.asc (190.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2007-09-29 09:29:35

by YanBo

On 9/29/07, Johannes Berg <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-09-29 at 10:09 +0800, Li YanBo wrote:
>
> > The Airgo chipset is a pre-n product, and the feature to support
> > standard 802.11n hasn't been implement yet. we will try to see whether
> > it can be used to support 80211n later. but if anything I can help you
> > now, I'd glad to do.
>
> Oh, ok, do you know what's different between the pre-N implemented by
> this chip and standard-N (say draft 2.0 or so)?

To be honest, I don't know. for what I know, Pre-n products are not
the same, some of them base on "TGN SYNC", but Airgo is a member of
WWiSE,(CMIIW) and we haven't get down to make this card work in 80211n
environment, so I can't tell you more detail of the difference between
them.

lyb

2007-10-01 09:15:24

by Patrick Ziegler

Dear all,

thanks for your fast responses.

Dear Johannes,

Perhaps we will get Hardware with the Broadcom chipset in the near
future. I doesn't believe that we can provide you with some kind of
hardware.

But when you are interested, we can cooperate and work together to
implement the 802.11n feature for Broadcom chipsets.

Patrick