2008-04-21 02:17:55

by YanBo

Subject: Re: Airgo MIMO wireless card Linux drive

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 6:30 PM, Wessam Baghdadi <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just came across your driver - yet to test it (using ndiswrapper +
> Linksys WMP54GX), but thanks in advance.
>
> A couple of questions for you:
>
> What is the current status of the driver? Is it working for both
> AGN100 and AGN300?

Just for AGN100 at this monment, but not very stable, specify speak,
it will lost the associate after a while and the highest TX speed
just reached to 8Mbit/S.

> Looking at the git tree here
> http://git.sipsolutions.net/?p=agnx.git;a=summary I can't see any new
> commits since January.

Yes, It is my fault, I am very busy for another company's project
recently. hence have not too much time to maintain and update the
code, but I want to spend more time on it when I have time in later.

> Has this driver been incorporated into the current kernel wireless stack?

Not yet.

> Is all the documentation here http://airgo.wdwconsulting.net/mymoin
> complete? What is missing?

Yes, all reverse engineer chipset info are local in this Website. it
was maintained by Jeff, but he has quit this project for something he
has to do. as you know, this driver is totally based on reverse
engineer, and lot of hardware detail hasn't been figure out yet, so
this is the biggest
balk for this project. If any volunteer like to burden this task, it
will be greatly welcome.

> I'm interested in contacted the Linux Driver Project
> http://www.linuxdriverproject.org/twiki/bin/view to see if they will
> continue the development/maintenance of the driver and incorporate it
> in the wireless stack.

It is also greatly welcome. Thanks.

BR
Li Yanbo

2008-04-24 16:23:25

by Wessam Baghdadi

2008/4/21 YanBo <[email protected]>:
> On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 6:30 PM, Wessam Baghdadi <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just came across your driver - yet to test it (using ndiswrapper +
> > Linksys WMP54GX), but thanks in advance.
> >
> > A couple of questions for you:
> >
> > What is the current status of the driver? Is it working for both
> > AGN100 and AGN300?
> >

> Just for AGN100 at this monment, but not very stable, specify speak,
> it will lost the associate after a while and the highest TX speed
> just reached to 8Mbit/S.
>

> > Looking at the git tree here
> > http://git.sipsolutions.net/?p=agnx.git;a=summary I can't see any new
> > commits since January.
>
> Yes, It is my fault, I am very busy for another company's project
> recently. hence have not too much time to maintain and update the
> code, but I want to spend more time on it when I have time in later.
>

> > Has this driver been incorporated into the current kernel wireless stack?
> >

> Not yet.
>

> > Is all the documentation here http://airgo.wdwconsulting.net/mymoin
> > complete? What is missing?
> >

> Yes, all reverse engineer chipset info are local in this Website. it
> was maintained by Jeff, but he has quit this project for something he
> has to do. as you know, this driver is totally based on reverse
> engineer, and lot of hardware detail hasn't been figure out yet, so
> this is the biggest
> balk for this project. If any volunteer like to burden this task, it
> will be greatly welcome.
>

> > I'm interested in contacted the Linux Driver Project
> > http://www.linuxdriverproject.org/twiki/bin/view to see if they will
> > continue the development/maintenance of the driver and incorporate it
> > in the wireless stack.
> >

> It is also greatly welcome. Thanks.
>
> BR
> Li Yanbo

I understand that Airgo released some GPL code a while back
(http://web.archive.org/web/20051219012536/http://gpl.airgonetworks.com/)
and Belkin released the GPL source & toolchain to their F5D9630
(Wireless G+ MIMO Modem Router) recently - I have no idea if this code
includes source related to the chipset or if Jeff looked at this
source when reverse eng the specs.

Airgo is now part of Qualcomm, but surprisingly enough there is a
claim that one of the airgo engineers had developed linux drivers that
were held back.
(http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/mobile/airgo-and-asus-team-launch-faster-wired-laptop).
He still works at Qualcomm and has a linkedin profile here
(http://www.linkedin.com/in/cfliu)

Is it possible that one of the maintainers could get in touch with him to see:

* if these mythical drivers were indeed developed, the status of the
drivers and the possibility of Qualcomm releasing the source?

* the possibility of releasing the complete specifications of the chipset?

If no one here is the right person to get in touch with David, perhaps
someone can point me in the right direction?

thanks,

wessam

2008-04-26 02:00:17

by YanBo

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 12:23 AM, Wessam Baghdadi <[email protected]> wrote:
> 2008/4/21 YanBo <[email protected]>:
>

> > On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 6:30 PM, Wessam Baghdadi <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I just came across your driver - yet to test it (using ndiswrapper +
> > > Linksys WMP54GX), but thanks in advance.
> > >
> > > A couple of questions for you:
> > >
> > > What is the current status of the driver? Is it working for both
> > > AGN100 and AGN300?
> > >

> > Just for AGN100 at this monment, but not very stable, specify speak,
> > it will lost the associate after a while and the highest TX speed
> > just reached to 8Mbit/S.
> >

> > > Looking at the git tree here
> > > http://git.sipsolutions.net/?p=agnx.git;a=summary I can't see any new
> > > commits since January.
> >
> > Yes, It is my fault, I am very busy for another company's project
> > recently. hence have not too much time to maintain and update the
> > code, but I want to spend more time on it when I have time in later.
> >

> > > Has this driver been incorporated into the current kernel wireless stack?
> > >

> > Not yet.
> >

> > > Is all the documentation here http://airgo.wdwconsulting.net/mymoin
> > > complete? What is missing?
> > >

> > Yes, all reverse engineer chipset info are local in this Website. it
> > was maintained by Jeff, but he has quit this project for something he
> > has to do. as you know, this driver is totally based on reverse
> > engineer, and lot of hardware detail hasn't been figure out yet, so
> > this is the biggest
> > balk for this project. If any volunteer like to burden this task, it
> > will be greatly welcome.
> >

> > > I'm interested in contacted the Linux Driver Project
> > > http://www.linuxdriverproject.org/twiki/bin/view to see if they will
> > > continue the development/maintenance of the driver and incorporate it
> > > in the wireless stack.
> > >

> > It is also greatly welcome. Thanks.
> >
> > BR
> > Li Yanbo
> >

> I understand that Airgo released some GPL code a while back
> (http://web.archive.org/web/20051219012536/http://gpl.airgonetworks.com/)
> and Belkin released the GPL source & toolchain to their F5D9630

Not sure F5D9630 contain the Airgo chipset, FWIK F5d8010 contain the
agn100 chipset

> (Wireless G+ MIMO Modem Router) recently - I have no idea if this code
> includes source related to the chipset or if Jeff looked at this
> source when reverse eng the specs.

The Linksys published the source code for WRT54GX in its website, and
it contains the binary driver for Agn100. I guess Jeff also has some
binary code of Agn300, but don't know specify.

> Airgo is now part of Qualcomm, but surprisingly enough there is a
> claim that one of the airgo engineers had developed linux drivers that
> were held back.
> (http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/mobile/airgo-and-asus-team-launch-faster-wired-laptop).
> He still works at Qualcomm and has a linkedin profile here
> (http://www.linkedin.com/in/cfliu)
>
> Is it possible that one of the maintainers could get in touch with him to see:
>
> * if these mythical drivers were indeed developed, the status of the
> drivers and the possibility of Qualcomm releasing the source?

I never find any clue about this driver.BTW I had contacted with some
people of Airgo company, but all has no response.

> * the possibility of releasing the complete specifications of the chipset?
>
> If no one here is the right person to get in touch with David, perhaps
> someone can point me in the right direction?

I'll retry to get in touch with him. Thank your support for this project!

BR
Li Yanbo